Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#631416 14/02/20 10:34 AM
B
Under 16 Player
OP Offline
Under 16 Player
B

Looks like Timo Werner on his way to Anfield in the summer with LFC set to activate
his 51m release clause.

Seems like a fantastic buy. Just wondering where he would fit in?

BARTON42 #631417 14/02/20 11:22 AM
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
hmm, I just don't see it...I see a lot of papers and pundits making fairly wild assumptions without any concrete evidence (Michael Edwards on a plane headed to Germany etc...).

I have a calculated assumption that when we dropped 7m for Minamino at the start of the year, any previous machinations for Werner or Sancho ended.

Both Werner and Sancho are good players but unless we sell one of our trident then it's hard to envisage Liverpool dropping that sort of money on a player who will effectively be warming our bench.

Klopp likes the certainty of players he uses most, he doesn't like change in meaningful competition. Mane, Bobby and Salah are his preferred front 3 with a backup of Origi and now Minamino.
Bringing somebody else in would upset the applecart, so I just don't see where Werner would fit @60m? Even Sancho @100+m would be even more fanciful.

I believe Klopp's objectives for the team is a backup CB who can be a versatile LB/RB.

We've also got the Anfield Road expansion on our agenda which will also have a say on any player recruitment that is not needed.

Just my tuppence worth...

BARTON42 #631418 14/02/20 12:54 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Buying a £7m backup player will have zero effect on whether we buy Werner or not. At his buyout it makes perfect sense to buy a young, talented full international who’d fit our playing style.

The question for me is more would he come and not be a guaranteed starter?

BARTON42 #631419 14/02/20 01:24 PM
R
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
R
I don't know, players want to come here now and play for Klopp and any top player worth his salt will think he can come in and stake a claim for a place. He'd 100% get some chances and if one's off-form, he might bring something different or have them up their game.

Maybe Shaq and Origi are fed up of limited opportunities and this would be a massive upgrade for a small net fee.

BARTON42 #631420 14/02/20 04:04 PM
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Looking how the youngsters have performed I believe the priority is to promote from within. The likes of Elliott, Richards and Jones have excelled and other than a unjust scoreline v Villa they've equipped themselves well. Critchley has them playing tactically like the 1st team, they just lack the physicality and composure but technically they are very good.

BARTON42 #631421 14/02/20 04:48 PM
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
I can see there being a few comings and goings in the summer, it's likely Lallana & Wilson will leave, I suspect if a decent bid for Origi or Shaq comes in they may go, so I can see us moving for a forward like Werner.

With the amount of games we play, it will be re-enforcing the front 3 rather than replacing one, especially with the likes of Salah & Mane off to the ANC cup & Olympics next season.

If we don't get him now, we will probably never get him as he will goto one of the top clubs like Bayern or RM, so we won't get another chance to buy him.

We have been linked with him for a few years, he matches the FSG profile well with his age, experience and sell on value in 4-5 years, I guess it depends what happens with Sancho as I cannot see us buying both, but I cannot see us spending £100+ million on a 19 Year old in Sancho.

Chelsea have already moved in the transfer market, so I can see clubs securing deals early this season, especially with the Euro's in the summer affecting transfers with players on international duty and rarely moving during a tournament.

BARTON42 #631422 14/02/20 04:56 PM
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Salah, Mane & Firmino are all a similar age around 27-28, so it makes sense to bring someone like Werner in now, then we can easily sell one on, we have a ready made replacement like Werner who can play a season with us before we sell one of the front 3, we know Klopp likes to bed players in and give them a few months to get used to our style of play.

Also means we have a ready made replacement, if we sell Salah for £100+ million, any club we goto for a replacement will want the bulk of that, if we get Werner now for 51 million, there is no being held to ransom after we sell one of the front 3.

BARTON42 #631425 14/02/20 05:24 PM
A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
You have to look at it from Werner's point of view. There was talk of him coming a year ago but he was not going to be a certain starter. I think he had a clause in his contract that he could have left for £23m but now it is around £46m.

A few European clubs have cottoned on to how to handle young players and contracts and yet still leave a player in a position where he is affordable. They increase his wages and promise him a move a year later.

This way they get the optimum revenue or an agreed amount as per the contract. It seems like a stick and carrot job. The player knows he can leave if a price is met. The club knows if he performs to the level of the previous clause they will have takers even at that new clause level. The PL is their cash cow and in the interim period the player plays well and earns the move whilst the club benefits.

If you look back at our dealings maybe we did this with Suarez and Coutinho on a larger scale knowing their performances were almost a given and that the preferred suitors would always wait.

For Werner at 22 he was never going to force out any of our front 3 but at 23 and our front 3 also a year older he has a chance. He will know now that at 25/26/27 he can can be in the same position as those 3 are in now.

For us we can get a player and pay him better (but not stupid) wages. When he delivers he can get a better contract. Our club has proven to reward success and will recognise individual performance. Players are maybe clocking on to this as well. Everybody wants to be a success and be paid well for what they do. We seem to be able to deliver as well off the pitch as well as on it. Most of our rivals in the PL seem to be light years behind us on this one.

For Werner there is the opportunity to replace Salah in a front 3 if Salah goes to the Olympics. There is also the African Cup of Nations which will take 2 of our front 3 away this time next year. So for a bedding in season there are lots of opportunities here. I think he will come.

AccaBoosty #631426 14/02/20 06:46 PM
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty
You have to look at it from Werner's point of view. There was talk of him coming a year ago but he was not going to be a certain starter. I think he had a clause in his contract that he could have left for £23m but now it is around £46m.

A few European clubs have cottoned on to how to handle young players and contracts and yet still leave a player in a position where he is affordable. They increase his wages and promise him a move a year later.

This way they get the optimum revenue or an agreed amount as per the contract. It seems like a stick and carrot job. The player knows he can leave if a price is met. The club knows if he performs to the level of the previous clause they will have takers even at that new clause level. The PL is their cash cow and in the interim period the player plays well and earns the move whilst the club benefits.

If you look back at our dealings maybe we did this with Suarez and Coutinho on a larger scale knowing their performances were almost a given and that the preferred suitors would always wait.

For Werner at 22 he was never going to force out any of our front 3 but at 23 and our front 3 also a year older he has a chance. He will know now that at 25/26/27 he can can be in the same position as those 3 are in now.

For us we can get a player and pay him better (but not stupid) wages. When he delivers he can get a better contract. Our club has proven to reward success and will recognise individual performance. Players are maybe clocking on to this as well. Everybody wants to be a success and be paid well for what they do. We seem to be able to deliver as well off the pitch as well as on it. Most of our rivals in the PL seem to be light years behind us on this one.

For Werner there is the opportunity to replace Salah in a front 3 if Salah goes to the Olympics. There is also the African Cup of Nations which will take 2 of our front 3 away this time next year. So for a bedding in season there are lots of opportunities here. I think he will come.

With Salah and Mane both potentially missing for AFCON games now, it might make sense to replace one of them. Salah is 28, so I could see him moving on. What they might do is sign Werner this year, as with them missing he will surely get gametime, bed him in, and sell Mo next year.

redordead13 #631432 14/02/20 08:07 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By redordead13
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty

With Salah and Mane both potentially missing for AFCON games now, it might make sense to replace one of them. Salah is 28, so I could see him moving on. What they might do is sign Werner this year, as with them missing he will surely get gametime, bed him in, and sell Mo next year.

If they want to sell Salah they will do it this year I think because at 29 his value will drop significantly. To replace him though, Klopp will look for a strong left foot and I dont think Eliott will be ready

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion