KopTalk

Quick Links: View All | Latest News | Liverpool FC Forum | Off Topic Forum | KopTalk Members | Help

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#630896 - 22/01/20 09:33 AM Re: Only idiot fans celebrate early! [Re: The Kop Prophet]
Hercules/AF 58 Offline
1st Team Squad

Originally Posted By The Kop Prophet
It's got nothing to do with excitement, nostalgia, memories, earned arrogance, or any of that stuff. You simply do not declare that you have won something when you haven't. It's foolish and only idiots (yes I used the right word) do it. A year or two ago a South American team lost their entire squad in a plane crash... so you just don't assume something is done even if it looks very likely. I expect us to press home this advantage... and it looks like we have the right coaching and player recruitment to see the job through this time... but it is NOT DONE YET. Confidence is a weird thing and it works the other way too. I don't think we'll don a Keegan's Newcastle but it CAN happen.... a bad run of luck and lost confidence will cost ANY team a lot of points. At the moment we look invincible and the title looks very likely... but until it's mathematically achieved there is no point crowing about having done it. As someone said, be excited, be enthused, enjoy the moment.... but keep your feet on the ground and your eye on the prize. Victory is sweeter when you're patient and make it assured before rubbing people's faces in it.

Yeah, I can't argue with that Kop, it looks like we'll win it, but it ain't won till its won....or like Brexit; it's not done, despite the bluster!

#630899 - 22/01/20 10:47 AM Re: Only idiot fans celebrate early! [Re: The Kop Prophet]
Snakeye Offline
1st Team Regular

Loc: New Zealand
A year or two ago a South American team lost their entire squad in a plane crash... so you just don't assume something is done even if it looks very likely.

Why are you bringing that up? Its disrespectful to bring up a tragedy and compare it with our situation. Peoples lives are more important than a silver pot, you're also implying that it could happen to our players, just a bizarre way of thinking, there is also no need to call fans idiots for celebrating a victory against our rivals, the fans sang to [oops] off Utd fans, they know it's not over.

#630900 - 22/01/20 10:51 AM Re: Only idiot fans celebrate early! [Re: Snakeye]
Pickles Offline
Under 23 Player

Originally Posted By Snakeye
A year or two ago a South American team lost their entire squad in a plane crash... so you just don't assume something is done even if it looks very likely.

Why are you bringing that up? Its disrespectful to bring up a tragedy and compare it with our situation. Peoples lives are more important than a silver pot, you're also implying that it could happen to our players, just a bizarre way of thinking, there is also no need to call fans idiots for celebrating a victory against our rivals, the fans sang to [oops] off Utd fans, they know it's not over.

F'kin hell...I missed that post!

Now we have Sadness & The Grim Reaper on the boards... shocked

#630914 - 22/01/20 07:45 PM Re: Only idiot fans celebrate early! [Re: redordead13]
TheMightyLFC Online   content
Under 23 Player

Originally Posted By redordead13
Anywhere else the fans would be singing it. Leicester did the December they won it, and the odds were longer for them.

We are not anywhere else. We are not Leicester. It's fine for teams like Leicester to sing it... they can enjoy the thought of going to win and even they fell short in the end, they'd still enjoy the fact that a few months previously they thought they were going to win it.

We are LFC. We should be mature about titles. Even though we haven't won it for 30 years we should be a bit controlled. If we think we've won it then we should start to anticipate what might happen in the CL and next season. Enjoy all the games... cheer and support the team... and celebrate when it'd completely done and dusted.

Anyway... that's my last word on it. Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree.

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish

#630937 - 23/01/20 10:16 PM Re: Only idiot fans celebrate early! [Re: The Kop Prophet]
redordead13 Offline
1st Team Squad

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Football is supposed to be fun. We sang it because it was how we felt. It was an outpouring of emotion and joy, not gospel prognostications. Football isn't about what other fans think about us, it's about us enjoying our team. And I'm enjoying our team winning the league. If you don't want to yet, that's your business; be a pessimist, but I sure as hell am going to celebrate this first title in my lifetime.

#630940 - 23/01/20 10:32 PM Re: Only idiot fans celebrate early! [Re: redordead13]
TheMightyLFC Online   content
Under 23 Player

Football is supposed to be fun. We sang it because it was how we felt. It was an outpouring of emotion and joy, not gospel prognostications. Football isn't about what other fans think about us, it's about us enjoying our team. And I'm enjoying our team winning the league. If you don't want to yet, that's your business; be a pessimist, but I sure as hell am going to celebrate this first title in my lifetime.

Not wanting to celebrate just yet doesn't make anyone a pessimist. I think we're all agreed that we will probably win it. We're all enjoying the journey, albeit with the odd skipped heart beat like tonight, and we're all celebrating each goal and win. And we will all celebrate the title if/when it's won. But the simple point being made is that we haven't won it yet.

But I agree... it's your choice to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't harm anyone else... and yes, I understand the sudden outpouring of emotion as soon as Salah scored. I only saw the highlights yesterday and realised the context in which it was sung. It wasn't as if we sang it through the game... and it didn't last long. We soon moved on to 'We shall not be moved' which I think is much better.

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish

#630941 - 23/01/20 10:36 PM Re: Only idiot fans celebrate early! [Re: TheMightyLFC]
ecnirp98 Online   content
1st Team Squad

Loc: Madchester
Originally Posted By TheMightyLFC

Not wanting to celebrate just yet doesn't make anyone a pessimist. I think we're all agreed that we will probably win it. We're all enjoying the journey, albeit with the odd skipped heart beat like tonight, and we're all celebrating each goal and win. And we will all celebrate the title if/when it's won. But the simple point being made is that we haven't won it yet.

But I agree... it's your choice to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't harm anyone else... and yes, I understand the sudden outpouring of emotion as soon as Salah scored. I only saw the highlights yesterday and realised the context in which it was sung. It wasn't as if we sang it through the game... and it didn't last long. We soon moved on to 'We shall not be moved' which I think is much better.

I think it was also sang is it was Utd we were playing, so great to stuff it down their throat, which will really get to them, so I can see why the fans wanted to do that.

If we don't win the PL from this position, we will be a laughing stock, so singing we're gonna win the league will not affect that.

#630943 - 23/01/20 10:45 PM Re: Only idiot fans celebrate early! [Re: ecnirp98]
redordead13 Offline
1st Team Squad

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Originally Posted By TheMightyLFC

I think it was also sang is it was Utd we were playing, so great to stuff it down their throat, which will really get to them, so I can see why the fans wanted to do that.

If we don't win the PL from this position, we will be a laughing stock, so singing we're gonna win the league will not affect that.

Yeah, it's not like it will be any less embarrassing if we don't, and it's fun to sing it. If it goes titts up. I'll be embarrassed anyway, but I'm not worried about it, because it won't. We're too good. If we win on Wednesday, we're 19 points clear. At this point, all I'm worried about is finishing unbeaten and the other 2 trophies. We will win this league.

#630944 - 23/01/20 10:47 PM Re: Only idiot fans celebrate early! [Re: redordead13]
Snakeye Offline
1st Team Regular

Loc: New Zealand
Not fussed about going unbeaten, I'd happily swap that for a double or treble.

#630945 - 23/01/20 10:53 PM Re: Only idiot fans celebrate early! [Re: The Kop Prophet]
van Gogh Offline
1st Team Squad

Loc: Out Of Town
Yep, agreed there Snakes!

I think we will start rotating more in the PL - at least if we keep winning for a few more weeks, and if we also manage to get deeper into the 2 remaining Cups.

That opens up the possibility for dropping points or even getting beat a few times in the PL before the season is over.

Edited by van Gogh (23/01/20 10:53 PM)

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KopTalk Team 
Shout Box

Advertisements

Liverpool FC Discussion
Timo Werner
by EnergisedReds
24/02/20 05:02 PM
Man City banned from Champions League for 2 seasons
by EnergisedReds
24/02/20 04:39 PM
Worst partisan officiating seen in a long time...
by EnergisedReds
23/02/20 03:43 PM
'Anfield wouldn't pass UEFA inspection to save it's life'
by AccaBoosty
22/02/20 07:41 PM
Ketia - The Enigma
by RedJohn
22/02/20 05:10 PM

General Discussion
This is Brilliant...
by Pickles
16/02/20 12:56 PM