Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#630348 24/12/19 09:34 AM
Dunk Online Content OP
KopTalk Editor
OP Online Content
KopTalk Editor
Klopp says Ox has damaged one of his ankle ligaments and there's no chance he will play again this year. No idea when he will be back as yet. Lovren and Matip are in a good way but are not ready. Fab also out.

Dunk #630349 24/12/19 09:59 AM
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
I think we need to bring forward Lovren's replacement to this January but it sounds like Klopp & LFC aren't going to bring anybody else in after Minamino.

(from today's press conference)

Klopp: "It's about the quality of the boys. It's not the biggest group but so far we can deal with it. To come through a season you need to be lucky. Against Monterrey, one CB, Hendo did a great job."

Klopp: "It's not about having a perfect team on the pitch it is about finding a solution. We need luck with injuries. We haven't been lucky so far but we could find a solution."

Dunk #630350 24/12/19 10:11 AM
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
So Ox is going to be out for at least 2 months which gives Minamino an immediate opportunity to impress.

Dunk #630351 24/12/19 11:59 AM
A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Defence wise having so many CB's out is always a big problem. If you have a full back problem you can always play 3 at the back and 5 across the middle if necessary. But in a team that always goes for the win managing the squad through this is very tricky.

It may be that we will play an inexperienced defence in the FA Cup and see where we are then.

All injuries prevent the manager from resting players or having the options to change tactically during games. So although we haven't had an injury to VVD or Trent or Mane we have had to deal with others like Alisson, Fabinho, Gomez, Wij and Matip. Two or three injuries to certain starters simultaneously is massive for any team.

We may need some of that cushion we have built up. But those chasing will have to win almost every game.

Dunk #630352 24/12/19 12:42 PM
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
And the teams chasing us have injuries, the likes of City have had quite a few, particularly LaPorte & Aguero being key players out.

Minamino was obviously a player we were after so the chance came up to get him now with the release clause and we took it, I think that was more to stop rivals from getting him than it was Klopp identifying him as being needed now. If a similar situation happens with a CB we are after, I am sure we will move for him, I just don't see that happening, It seems Klopp now see's Henderson as cover for the CB's !

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
And the teams chasing us have injuries, the likes of City have had quite a few, particularly LaPorte & Aguero being key players out.

Minamino was obviously a player we were after so the chance came up to get him now with the release clause and we took it, I think that was more to stop rivals from getting him than it was Klopp identifying him as being needed now. If a similar situation happens with a CB we are after, I am sure we will move for him, I just don't see that happening, It seems Klopp now see's Henderson as cover for the CB's !

Despite the fact that we badly needed a cover for Mane, I am not sure what was so obvious that we wanted to sign Minamino, else we would have signed him last summer. I rather think we discovered who he really was after his huge game at Anfield and when we found out about his release clause, it was too big a bargain to miss. From what I have seen, though not a lot, he should easily get above the 30m mark, thus the value for money was too big to miss.

Dunk #630354 24/12/19 05:28 PM
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Maybe FSG will surprise us in January and tell Klopp to BOGOF?

Pickles #630355 25/12/19 04:35 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Pickles
I think we need to bring forward Lovren's replacement to this January but it sounds like Klopp & LFC aren't going to bring anybody else in after Minamino.

(from today's press conference)

Klopp: "It's about the quality of the boys. It's not the biggest group but so far we can deal with it. To come through a season you need to be lucky. Against Monterrey, one CB, Hendo did a great job."

Klopp: "It's not about having a perfect team on the pitch it is about finding a solution. We need luck with injuries. We haven't been lucky so far but we could find a solution."

Instead of planning to cope with injuries, looks like we are opting to be lucky, probably because there is no money available

Dunk #630356 25/12/19 05:07 PM
A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
No point in buying someone for say £40m (if we want a decent long term option) because then it looks like we are binning off Lovren for next to nothing.

Don't forget the guy is paid nigh on £100K a week. We can get something back for him with a few more games under his belt this season. If we buy another player in and look to keep and sell Lovren we will be held to ransom by teams lowballing us because of his wages.

Unless we lose another CB before one comes back we won't be in the market. Keep the money for prime targets. The succession plan is in place but that is all it is.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty
No point in buying someone for say £40m (if we want a decent long term option) because then it looks like we are binning off Lovren for next to nothing.

Don't forget the guy is paid nigh on £100K a week. We can get something back for him with a few more games under his belt this season. If we buy another player in and look to keep and sell Lovren we will be held to ransom by teams lowballing us because of his wages.

Unless we lose another CB before one comes back we won't be in the market. Keep the money for prime targets. The succession plan is in place but that is all it is.

Lovren going in the last year of his contract at his age will not get us more than 15m. Should we run the risk of having to play without a VVD type player should the latter get injured because of 10-15m quid? Look at what happened to City with Laporte getting injured? Our fortunes completely changed after we bought Alisson and VVD for record fees, I don't want any risk if possible or minimum risks to win the title, we are almost there after 30 years and we should have the money to mitigate major risks instead of trying to be lucky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion