KopTalk

Quick Links: View All | Latest News | Liverpool FC Forum | Off Topic Forum | KopTalk Members | Help

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#630158 - 15/12/19 12:42 PM Should we sell Shaq and get Wilson back?
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

As long as there will both be Salah and Shaq in the squad, Wilson will not return and would probably be sold next summer as it almost happened last summer. Is our future more with Shaq than Wilson? I think Wilson is one of the best free kick taker but a bit slow. Then there is young Eliott also, thoughts?

#630159 - 15/12/19 06:59 PM Re: Should we sell Shaq and get Wilson back? [Re: EnergisedReds]
AccaBoosty Offline
Under 23 Player

Good question. They are all different.

Salah on his day is unstoppable and is as much a striker as a winger. He has great pace and is direct. Nothing we have at the moment could replace him like for like. Nothing anyone else has could slot in and do what he does on a regular basis.

Shaqiri is more of a link up player and we don't use him in his most devastating role like the Swiss do in International matches. For them he is the guy to get the ball to if you want things to happen. For Liverpool there are 5 ahead of him to do that even if he gets a start. With a front 3 like ours and two full backs who make assists for fun he is a luxury to have. But his stats are good. His goals and assists ratio must be up there for the games he plays. He is such an important player for us as he pops up with a brilliant contribution in the same way Origi does. But when he has a quiet game people get on his back just like they do with Origi.

Wilson has incredible dead ball skills but like Shaqiri in the current squad he is by far a definite starter if he were to come back to us. He was brilliant in the Championship last season at Derby and has shown good form for Bournemouth this season at the next level up. He is a bit slow but we are comparing him here to the flying machines we already have.

Elliott is going to be immense. He reminds me of a young James Maddison at Leicester. I think he is going to be that good. Then we have Minamino coming in and Ox who can operate wide.

What all these players have is an ability to read the game, to pick a pass or make that run. The way the squad has been rotated in the last 4 games show that they all follow the plan. But there surely is a surplus coming up. Or should I say a succession plan?

Lallana will be the one who makes way first. It is a toss up as to which player to sell, Wilson or Shaqiri. Either will get us 35m to 40m on a good day. As good as they are they can't all possibly hold a squad place down at the same time. Such is the quality at Klopp's disposal.

Exciting times ahead.

#630163 - 15/12/19 10:14 PM Re: Should we sell Shaq and get Wilson back? [Re: EnergisedReds]
ecnirp98 Offline
Under 23 Player

Loc: Madchester
I can see Salah being the next big player we sell, the front 3 are approaching/at their peak, so I can see them leaving in the next few years, with his world profile Salah will command a huge fee and the top clubs will be interested in him, he has always seemed the most likely to leave, I can see him leaving in the summer if he helps deliver the PL.

Mane is our best forward and he seems happy, he is more low key, Bobby could play another 5+ years at the top level as his game isn't about pace, his control/vision/trickery will not drop off, I see him as abit like a David Silva.

Minamino is the first sign that real plans are being made to replace the front 3, he will be cover initially, but gives us the freedom to sell one and have an immediate replacement ready if we chose not to go out and buy a world star like Mbappe to replace him.

I think Wilson is worth keeping, he gets goals from MF, something we have struggled for over the last few seasons (we have improved recently), Lallana will leave as has been said, Milner has signed a new deal but he will play key games rather than regularly and is great cover in a few positions with his experience, so I think we have the space in the squad for Wilson, same for Grujic.

#630166 - 16/12/19 02:04 AM Re: Should we sell Shaq and get Wilson back? [Re: EnergisedReds]
Pickles Offline
Under 23 Player

Grujic is 23 now (will be 24 next April) I really don't know what Klopp's plans are regarding Grujic but if he doesn't return to LFC in the summer when the likes of Lallana will be gone then it's safe to say his career at LFC is effectively over.

Wilson's career at LFC also now looks over with Minamino coming in January. Minamino can play anywhere along the front 3, whilst Wilson is a rather one dimensional, inside forward on the right.

Shaqiri's position now looks under threat too with him getting precious little playing time. He is 28 now and the likelihood is if LFC get a decent enough offer for him they won't stand in his way of leaving to get more 1st team opportunities elsewhere.

#630178 - 16/12/19 07:20 PM Re: Should we sell Shaq and get Wilson back? [Re: EnergisedReds]
van Gogh Offline
1st Team Squad

Loc: Out Of Town
Haven't seen enough of Wilson to pass a fair judgement on him, but from what I have seen he might be too much of a luxury player for Klopp when it comes to his defensive play.

With our front 3 and our offensive minded fullbacks, we need a midfield trio who can defend and do so 100% committed.

Is Wilson that kind of player.

I doubt it.

Moderator:  KopTalk Team 
Shout Box

Advertisements

Liverpool FC Discussion
Shrewsbury v Liverpool
by RedJohn
29/01/20 09:29 AM
Klopp 100% right about the FA cup!
by Stanley Park
29/01/20 09:26 AM
The Weirdest Season Ever?
by EnergisedReds
28/01/20 06:53 PM
Only idiot fans celebrate early!
by The Kop Prophet
28/01/20 05:02 PM
Betting against Liverpool
by ecnirp98
26/01/20 07:10 PM

General Discussion
EU Police Bust Trafficking ring smuggled 100k Illegals to UK
by EnergisedReds
28/01/20 11:39 AM
Coronavirus - Harvard epidemiolgist "Virus is thermonuclear"
by EnergisedReds
28/01/20 11:36 AM
STAND UP Sir Ricky Gervais!!!
by Stanley Park
08/01/20 05:26 PM
EDITORIAL Happy Independence Day to the U.K.
by Stanley Park
31/12/19 03:03 PM

Top Posters (30 Days)
Pickles 73
ecnirp98 58
redordead13 51
EnergisedReds 44
AccaBoosty 42
Snakeye 42
wilkij1975 30
TheMightyLFC 22
Welsh_Wizard 17