Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
After yesterday's game and seeing Man City's frailties up close it's hard to see how they can possibly recover the current deficit especially when you see their upcoming fixtures:

23/11 - Man City v Chelsea
30/11 - Newcastle v Man City
3/12 - Burnley v Man City
7/12 - Man City v Man Utd
15/12 - Arsenal v Man City
21/12 - Man City v Leicester
27/12 - Wolves v Man City
29/12 - Man City v Sheff Utd
01/01 - Man City v Everton
12/01 - Villa v Man City
18/01 - Man City v Palace
21/01 - Sheff Utd v Man City
01/02 - Spurs v Man City

That set of fixtures is hard and couldn't be any better from a Liverpool perspective even if we hand picked them ourselves. It's a combination of current inform teams and places City have had some tough games in recent seasons, all the way through to the start of February.

Leicester are now coming into the spotlight when they really ought to have been talked about more. Since April this year they have been impressive with minor blips in fixtures you'd expect them to have a tough time - away @Utd 1 v 0 - away @City 1 v 0 - away @Liverpool 1 v 0.
Brendan has guided them extremely well adding the likes of Tielemans, Ndidi and Perez to their ranks. They've not missed Maguire who they sold for a record fee to Utd. I watched Leicester take apart Arsenal yesterday afternoon before our game and they were impressive. They had an air of ourselves about them in not panicking even after over an hour of the game still at 0 v 0 to eventually getting the job done in beating Arsenal 2 v 0.

With just domestic comps to navigate and no European Competition, Leicester have to be our biggest rival now to our ever 1st PL crown.

1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
i would still say city followed by chelsea and then foxes.

im hoping both chelsea and foxes draw to city. it would be great if they all took points from each other . would help us a great deal

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Yep. Any weekend where we win and two close rivals drop points by drawing against each other is usually good.

Palace up next for us away. We have done well there last 2 or 3 seasons but you always know they are going to give you a hard game. Keep Zaha quiet and we should win.

But Leicester hard to beat. We took our time although they did score with their only shot on target. They rarely get mullered by anyone.

R
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
R
I had a feeling we were facing a run of tough fixtures, then noticed our next really hard game is Leicester on Boxing Day! Not that I'm jinxing it.

We've already beaten our 3 closest rivals and City have a pretty tough run now. Funnily enough, Burnley away is probably tougher than Utd and Arsenal for them now..

I'd still prefer a Chelsea win at Manchester. After last season I just want City as far behind as possible before worrying about Leicester and Chelsea.

G
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
G
we've just gotta keep doing what we've been doing and everything else will be irrelevant. We can draw against the top 3 teams closest to us and still go on to win the league as long as we win all the games you'd expect us to win. The only thing that can really stop is injuries and/or fatigue. If we get through the Christmas period with our 8 point gap in tact I think its over.

T
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
T
It's just silly to write anyone off after 12 games. We have two thirds of the season to go - a massive fixture congestion - plus, every team will have injury issues to navigate. I just don't understand why anyone would call the season this early - as the pundits were yesterday. 8 points is nice but two bad results changes all that optimism. Dec/Jan are going to be absolutely mad for us - we'll have to see how the squad holds up.

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
We're obviously in the driver seat now. To say otherwise would be silly. It's certainly not over, but it is ours to lose.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Great win & result, far too early to be writing anyone off, especially with all the games we have coming up.

In an alternate world we could have easily lost to Villa and be going into the game yesterday with a City win bringing them level on points with us, we have seen how quickly points can be lost/reversed, after last season and the previous 30 seasons, I am taking nothing for granted until we are mathematically certain!!!

I think the big thing is that City look vulnerable, they do not look the all conquering team they were last season, so i think that's what gives us the biggest chance for years to win the PL.

I'm of a mind we should just concentrate on the PL & CL, play the reserves/kids in the Carabao & FA Cup & World Club, especially with how they have stitched us up with the fixtures. The PL has to be the priority and second the CL, I cannot imagine us being in a better position than this going forward?

Will City spend big on a CB in January? that will be the test on their determination to catch us up, as most CB will be cup tied for CL.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Forgot to say, City are still the biggest threat IMO, they have the proven quality to go on and win all their remaining games (though that looks unlikely with their injuries) but they are a wounded beast ATM, so I would not underestimate them.

Leicester & Chelsea are doing really well, but they are just a few injuries for key players away from dropping points.

I still think City & us will be a distant 1st and 2nd come the end of the season, I hope Leicester & Chelsea get top 4, their football deserves it.

O
Oli Offline
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
O
It was ours to lose last season after Xmas and we did. So in November it is easy to lose it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion