Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
It's not just about VVD missing out here, surely the award should be measured on achievement over the season. VVD was integral to a Champions League winning squad and just missing out on a PL winners medal by 1 point and a record points haul by a 2nd place team in the most competitive league in the world. Also add the fact he was part of a defence that only conceded 22 goals over the course of a very hard 38 game season. We can also throw in a H2H with Messi with VVD coming out on top in that CL Semi-Final.

This has happened more than a few times before where the winner did not deserve the award but was a more commercially and financially beneficial option to FIFA.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Its about who the advertisers/sponsors want, Messi is the pin up boy of world football, he's a great player to be fair, so it's not like they have given it to a numpty.

At the end of the day, how do you compare a CB against a CF, their attributes are totally different, so this just comes down to coter opinion as they are not like for like comparisons.

I think VvD should have got it as Messi had already won it 5 times, so to reward VvD for an outstanding year and the impact he has had on Liverpool, helping win the CL and leading a PL challenge, but Fifa doesn't work that way, only 2 defenders have ever won it, and thats after they won the World Cup as captain.

It's not FIFA but journalists and team captains around the world who voted, FFS.

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
I'm certain FIFA has a lot of influence in this award to, along with their handling of awarding the World Cup winning venues.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
They probably do it just to wind you up.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By Pickles
I'm certain FIFA has a lot of influence in this award to, along with their handling of awarding the World Cup winning venues.

You can be as certain as you want, but FIFA officials don't vote on the matter. This isn't even FIFA's award. The FIFA Best award is completely separate.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Its about who the advertisers/sponsors want, Messi is the pin up boy of world football, he's a great player to be fair, so it's not like they have given it to a numpty.

At the end of the day, how do you compare a CB against a CF, their attributes are totally different, so this just comes down to coter opinion as they are not like for like comparisons.

I think VvD should have got it as Messi had already won it 5 times, so to reward VvD for an outstanding year and the impact he has had on Liverpool, helping win the CL and leading a PL challenge, but Fifa doesn't work that way, only 2 defenders have ever won it, and thats after they won the World Cup as captain.

It's not FIFA but journalists and team captains around the world who voted, FFS.

It's called "FIFA Ballon d'Or" so I am sure FIFA have some influence!

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

I don't think it's still called FIFA Ballon D'Or, now that there are 2 trophies, one organised by FIFA and Ballon D'Or by France Football. In any case, it's voted by journalists and team captains, so what influence would the organisers have. What influence will the UK electoral commission have in the next week elections?

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E

I don't think it's still called FIFA Ballon D'Or, now that there are 2 trophies, one organised by FIFA and Ballon D'Or by France Football. In any case, it's voted by journalists and team captains, so what influence would the organisers have. What influence will the UK electoral commission have in the next week elections?

My point was more money influences these things, so sponsors/advertisers, I can see the likes of Adidas who sponsor Messi 'advising' their other sponsored players to vote Messi, journalistic votes would be easily won by promising exclusives to journalists from their roster of other stars, so you can see how it can be done, City are recruiting 'influencers' for this reason, to sell their 'brand', they all do it.

At the end of the day, Messi is a great player, so it's not big deal he has won it, it's not like a huge miscarriage of justice, I was more surprised when Modric won it last year, but that was good as it broke Messi & Ronaldo's monopoly on it.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

My point was more money influences these things, so sponsors/advertisers, I can see the likes of Adidas who sponsor Messi 'advising' their other sponsored players to vote Messi, journalistic votes would be easily won by promising exclusives to journalists from their roster of other stars, so you can see how it can be done, City are recruiting 'influencers' for this reason, to sell their 'brand', they all do it.

At the end of the day, Messi is a great player, so it's not big deal he has won it, it's not like a huge miscarriage of justice, I was more surprised when Modric won it last year, but that was good as it broke Messi & Ronaldo's monopoly on it.

How would the sponsors know who voted for whom?

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E

How would the sponsors know who voted for whom?

I'm not saying they know, I am saying sponsors can influence the vote, say your a PL player who's got a £1 million a year sponsorship deal with someone like Adidas, if Adidas say to your agent 'it would be good for you to vote Messi' as he's nominated for the Ballon d'Or and is also sponsored by Adidas, you are probably going to vote for Messi as that's allot of money you want to keep when your sponsorship deal is negotiated again.

These awards hold allot of prestige and get allot of press, so they will sell allot of shirts/boots/merchandise on the back of these, that's why they pay the players £millions to wear their brand.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion