KopTalk

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Amazing result with others slipping up but I was quite shocked at how much possession they were having at Anfield, obviously they didn't too much with it but it still annoyed me.

Back to Back World Champions baby!
R
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
R
Originally Posted By Hercules/AF 58
Originally Posted By RedJohn
Another tight one but another 3 points. 40/42 - unbelievable and we're not even close to top form, especially the front 3.

I'll always fear City more than Leicester but they're not playing well either. Few tough games for them this month too so the gap could be wider in Jan and with us not playing at the Ethiad until later on, there'll be no opportunity for them to gather momentum and they may just focus on the CL.

That trip to Leicester could be THE game now.

Yes Red, the Leicester game could well hold the key as you say. I'm delighted with the 3 points today despite being appalled by the performance. Can we expect a top of the range performance at Leicester? Maybe, hopefully, and I feel we'll need it. The loss of Fabinho is likely to be our biggest difficulty though, and unfortunately I see no suitable replacement, unless perhaps reverting to a 4231 formation with a double pivot as a makeshift. That setup would also allow us to use our front three with either Ox or Shaq supporting. Some might say that would restrict our fullbacks bombing forward, but the hat could be a blessing against Leicester.

Fabinho's a big loss and I don't care how we play as long as we get this over the line, but I hope Ox gets a run or even Shaq/Keita to add a few midfield goals and help spark the front 3 into life. 4-2-1-3 as you say.

It's tough being an optimistic Red but if those front 3 turn it on now, it could be a very rosy picture in January.

City are playing really well, or quite poor, whereas we seem to be doing just enough whoever we play. Leciester are consistently better at the moment but it's still more likely they'll drop points

I hope we treat the club world cup like a training exercise. Nothing should distract us from this title.

T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
Originally Posted By Snakeye
Amazing result with others slipping up but I was quite shocked at how much possession they were having at Anfield, obviously they didn't too much with it but it still annoyed me.

Our game isn't based around possession. Even when we're winning we don't hold possession. We takes chances by trying to mount swift attacks almost at every opportunity the downside of which is that we often give the ball away. That's how if feels to me.

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By TheMightyLFC
Originally Posted By Snakeye

Our game isn't based around possession. Even when we're winning we don't hold possession. We takes chances by trying to mount swift attacks almost at every opportunity the downside of which is that we often give the ball away. That's how if feels to me.

Brighton played well, If we let Lovren leave in the summer, i'd be looking at someone like Dunk to come in, he's a good player.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
We should have been better prepared for the quick free kick, that was just naive, usually you stand someone infront of the ball to stop that, I guess the confusion was with Adrian just coming on and trying to line up the wall.

Atkinson fu again

We can't complain too much, I'm sure Barca felt the same after TAA in the CL semi final.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
We should have been better prepared for the quick free kick, that was just naive, usually you stand someone infront of the ball to stop that, I guess the confusion was with Adrian just coming on and trying to line up the wall.

Atkinson fu again

We can't complain too much, I'm sure Barca felt the same after TAA in the CL semi final.

True but there is a difference between taking a quick corner and a goalkeeper just coming on for his first action in the game. To be fair Barcelona didn't complain to the ref but had a go at each other.

We got caught like this v Chelsea a few years back with Luiz taking a quick one.

In these situations the captain must have a plan. Someone has to stand in the way, block the takers, take a yellow for the team. Other teams do it. Sometimes we need a bit more of the dark arts.

But it is very strange that we are talking about the same official who on his last 3 occasions in officiating us has cost us a goal for or one against.

T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
There's a more significant difference to the Barcelona situation. This was a free kick of which, broadly speaking, there are two types from a refereeing management perspective.

One type is where there is opportunity to take the free quick quickly. This is usually when there are no cards given, no injuries to take care of etc. In these situations the team that was awarded the free kick has the opportunity to take it quickly. They can decline that opportunity in which case the referee will usually signal that they then have to wait for his whistle.

The other type of free kick is where there have been card, injuries etc... and quick free quick is not appropriate. In those situations the referee will state from the outset that the team awarded the free kick must wait for the whistle.

Whenever it has been stated that the free kick can only be taken after the referee blows the whistle then the referee makes sure that the wall is 10 yards away etc. In my opinion, he should also wait until the wall is set. Only then can he blow the whistle.

Yesterday, the referee blew the whistle for the free kick to be taken when Adrian was still organising the wall. I think that's the key issue... why did the ref blow his whistle when Adrian hadn't finished preparing the wall?

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By TheMightyLFC
There's a more significant difference to the Barcelona situation. This was a free kick of which, broadly speaking, there are two types from a refereeing management perspective.

One type is where there is opportunity to take the free quick quickly. This is usually when there are no cards given, no injuries to take care of etc. In these situations the team that was awarded the free kick has the opportunity to take it quickly. They can decline that opportunity in which case the referee will usually signal that they then have to wait for his whistle.

The other type of free kick is where there have been card, injuries etc... and quick free quick is not appropriate. In those situations the referee will state from the outset that the team awarded the free kick must wait for the whistle.

Whenever it has been stated that the free kick can only be taken after the referee blows the whistle then the referee makes sure that the wall is 10 yards away etc. In my opinion, he should also wait until the wall is set. Only then can he blow the whistle.

Yesterday, the referee blew the whistle for the free kick to be taken when Adrian was still organising the wall. I think that's the key issue... why did the ref blow his whistle when Adrian hadn't finished preparing the wall?

Alisson took a while to go off and Adrian wasted allot of time coming on, limnbering up on the touch line etc, so I am guessing the ref thought he'd give him plenty of time to prepare.

The big thing was we should been professional and took control, stand someone infront of the ball, so if the ref says you gotta move away, you know it can be taken at any point from then.

I've watched the replay on MOTD a few times, it looks to me like Adrian could have got to it if he would have dived, he just seems to stop moving in the middle of the goal.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Atkinson is useless and should be banned from refereeing

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo...llowed-17348387

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion