Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Under 18 Player
OP Offline
Under 18 Player
T
Firstly, enough of this Mbappe stuff... we are not signing one player for 325 mil... it's not how we operate and as good as he is, it's not a very smart investment. We're the type of club that looks for the next Mbappe for 10% of that price.

However, I keep hearing that we are interested in Sancho, which was reflected in recent comments by Didi Hamann. I don't have time to watch Bundesliga games - but I have watched him closely in recent England games and can't help feeling a bit underwhelmed. Anyone feel the same way? He's quick but doesn't beat his man regularly - and doesn't get into goal-scoring positions as much as Mane or Salah. I'm sure he can be molded by Klopp but I'm not convinced that he's any better than other recent quick English wingers like SWP, Townsend, Walcott, Lennon, etc. He had a good spell in the Bundesliga but his goals and assists have dried up somewhat.

What say you?

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
As I don't watch German football or England International matches I cannot comment on him. But it does seem strange that clubs are ready to burn £100m on such a player.

At. Madrid bought Joao Felix for over £100m and now Sancho is the latest in that category.

I can't see us spending that much on a player who will possibly peak at 24/25 when his first contract would run out. Why spend £100m on a player to potentially lose him for nothing 4 or 5 years later. The Mbappe thing is a warning. He wants to bin off PSG after they shelled out all that money for him. Hence the big fee whilst they can still get it.

This is why we put all our top performers and top earners on long contracts through what should be their peak playing years. We lost Can for free before his supposed peak years. We lost Duncan early for a small fee but look what we made on Ibe, Ward and Solanke

So yes we will look for the next Mbappe at 10% of the price. But everyone is looking for him. In the meantime we will get linked with every £100m rated player going. Realistically we will pay it eventually but not until we have squeezed every drop out of what we already have. We paid top dollar for a keeper and a CB. Looking at the age of players the next ones to be replaced will be Henderson, Wij and Firmino. We still have plenty of time to go about this quietly to find the right fit rather than get ripped off in the market chasing players we don't need and who would not fit.

G
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
G
The next English Hype train. There are arguably only three world class english players. Raheem Sterling, Trent and (very very arguably) Kane. The closest you could compare sancho with is sterling and he looks nowhere near his level...he is only 19 though, so could potentially develop into something special. It's hard to say though, Ibe looked the dogs [oops] at times at that age, turned out he never developed any further and was just a solid mid table standard prem player. For me spending 100 mill on him would be stupid. There are other lesser known players, who arnt english, with higher ceilings than him around the same age that would go for 10% of that fee. This is a far more cost-effective punt and the obvious thing to do.

Last edited by ghostgoal; 19/11/19 09:35 PM.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By The Kop Prophet
Firstly, enough of this Mbappe stuff... we are not signing one player for 325 mil... it's not how we operate and as good as he is, it's not a very smart investment. We're the type of club that looks for the next Mbappe for 10% of that price.

However, I keep hearing that we are interested in Sancho, which was reflected in recent comments by Didi Hamann. I don't have time to watch Bundesliga games - but I have watched him closely in recent England games and can't help feeling a bit underwhelmed. Anyone feel the same way? He's quick but doesn't beat his man regularly - and doesn't get into goal-scoring positions as much as Mane or Salah. I'm sure he can be molded by Klopp but I'm not convinced that he's any better than other recent quick English wingers like SWP, Townsend, Walcott, Lennon, etc. He had a good spell in the Bundesliga but his goals and assists have dried up somewhat.

What say you?

Haven't watched him a lot but the couple of times I watched last season, he looked a top player. I understand he is struggling a bit this season. Mbape will not happen, we all know that, not within our reach. Sancho will not happen neither at 100m unless we sold probably Mane for more than that. It's very obvious to me

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion