Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50160458

"I think now is a good moment for him just to go home for a couple of days, clear his head," Southgate said.

Also this from the BBC:

"The defender has been UNDER SCRUTINY following a clash with Sterling at England's training camp on Monday".

Why does he need to clear his head?

Why is he under scrutiny?

The need to clear one's head under these circumstances would be a sign of some sort of guilt...Gomez didn't attack anybody and he shouldn't be under any scrutiny!

What are folks thoughts on this?

Seems to me the perpetrator in all of this (Sterling) is being given a pass!

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Yeah I thought those were strange comments considering what happened.

T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
Agree. Poor choice of words from Southgate in particular as he's Gomez's boss. What would have been better is if he said that re: the Sterling related matters Gomez is fine... he obviously didn't deserve or appreciate the booing but he's strong enough to deal with it as he showed earlier in the week. The sole reason he's heading back to his club is the injury picked up in training.

We're lucky we have Klopp. I'm sure he'll give Gomez full support and help him deal with the rubbish that has come his way. I hope we see Gomez starting one of the next two games and then establish himself as a 1st team regular like he did last season.

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Poor choice of words, I think by 'under scrutiny' he means all the press and focus has been on Gomez & Sterling, so he can go home and get away from it, but it does leaving people who do not know the full story thinking Gomez is in the wrong as well.

Being England manager Southgate should be allot more aware on his wording.

England Team always seems to be a toxic environment.

Hopefully he is ok now, I am more concerned over the knee injury than the clash with Sterling, but I suspect he has been sent home so Sterling can play now, as it would have been a distraction from the game if the both started together after Sterling's suspension from Southgate.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Poor choice of words, I think by 'under scrutiny' he means all the press and focus has been on Gomez & Sterling, so he can go home and get away from it, but it does leaving people who do not know the full story thinking Gomez is in the wrong as well.

Being England manager Southgate should be allot more aware on his wording.

England Team always seems to be a toxic environment.

Hopefully he is ok now, I am more concerned over the knee injury than the clash with Sterling, but I suspect he has been sent home so Sterling can play now, as it would have been a distraction from the game if the both started together after Sterling's suspension from Southgate.

I rather think Gomez was very disturbed with the booing and thus needed time off, this is how I see it and the scrutiny is from the idiot England fans who were more interested to have Sterling on the pitch no matter what he did/does. How many so called pundits said that Southgate shouldn't have banned Sterling, he did well.

Last edited by EnergisedReds; 17/11/19 04:32 PM.
V
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
V
Sterling and Kane are the darlings and golden boys of English soccer, they can do no wrong.

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
It was a convenient coincidence for Sterling that both Gomez and Hendo (both supposedly involved as victim and peacemaker in the original incident) were unable to play through illness and injury yesterday! It makes for a potentially toxic game at the start of April when we play City at their ground.

R
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
R

Good to know we play City as late as April. Hopefully by then there's no time for the fixture to act as springboard for them.

From what I read Sterling seemed to come out of it well. Took the full blame, said Gomez did nothing wrong and didn't deserve the boos.

T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
Originally Posted By RedJohn

Good to know we play City as late as April. Hopefully by then there's no time for the fixture to act as springboard for them.

From what I read Sterling seemed to come out of it well. Took the full blame, said Gomez did nothing wrong and didn't deserve the boos.

Too little, too late and designed to protect himself. As someone who was already being considered for the role of captain, Sterling's behaviour has been disgraceful and inexcusable.

He should have left things on the pitch after Sunday's game. At worst, he should have got it out of his system before meeting up with England on Monday.

Then, once he had been caught and punished, he should have accepted his punishment. Instead, he let it be known that in his opinion the punishment was too severe and an over reaction. This narrative was played out in sections of the media for two to three days and ultimately led to the booing of Gomez. This left Southgate and Gomez in a very awkward situation.

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
If I were Gomez I would say no thanks to England for a while now - just tell Southgate that I need to clear my head for a bit longer.

That would serve him well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion