Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By van Gogh
Let's not forget that we recently have refurbished our stadium big time aswell.

If the resources aren't endless (we are supposed to be self sufficient) then it's not that surprising that we see a drop off in spending on players for a few years while we pay down the loans.

Let's not forget that we have sold Suarez and Coutinho to Barcelona for record fees too. That helps keeping the net spend down tremendously.

Not much to moan about with our gross spend over the last 5 years either, is it - so we focus and bitch about net spend instead?

Loans to expand a stand should not be paid from players budget, but from revenues from those additional seats, that's the whole point. I could understand if it was a new stadium, but the whole point of not building a new one was not to impact our players spending. Yes we should all be happy with our performance on the field, but it's not thanks to our owners but despite them. They even tried to register the Liverpool name, people should drop their blinkers. This thread was about owners (Leeds takeover), if you are happy with our owners so be it, but for me they have been lucky after trial and error, Hodgson, Dalglish, Rodgers and now Klopp.

Yes they wanted the club to be self sufficient which is fine, but they should not use money generated by the club to pay for capital expenditure well in advance (instead of loan financing) if what you are saying is true, this is equivalent to financial cheating but in a lawful manner. It's not because we are doing well on the field that we should let them get away with using the club funds. I agreed with them not building a stadium as long as money generated by the club was invested in players and having the 14th net spend says it all.

You are completely ignoring the fact pointed out about selling Suarez and Coutinho. That goes a long way to skewing the net spend figure. All those funds and more were spent. You just don’t like them as they’re not treating this like a game of Fifa and spending money for he sake of it.

As for the getting lucky by trial and error, that’s just complete all hang. Hodgson was here just before / as they were taking over so why he is mentioned I don’t know? They’ve learned from mistakes rather than got lucky. Only a blind man can’t see that.

Are they the best owners we could have? Maybe not but I’d argue they are outside of the sugar daddy oligarchs and likewise, anyone who can’t see that must be blind.

What do you mean selling Suarez and Coutinho skewed our spending, it was planned and you can also add Torres sale with it. I would have agreed with you if we were were ranked 3-5 in spending which would be ok relative to our revenues, but 14th over the last 5 years, common?

Our best performance since they bought us was last season and surprise surprise, it was just after the best transfer windows we had under them after buying VVD, Alisson, Fabinho and Keita despite the latter not performing as expected, 3 out of 4 is commendable.

And of course it was trial and error and luck which got them Klopp, this is why it happened after quite few years, don't tell me they planned it as such.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
If you’re not going to read (or can’t!) I’m not going to even bother with you. I said that selling them skewed our net spend not our spending. The ignorance is bewildering.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
If you’re not going to read (or can’t!) I’m not going to even bother with you. I said that selling them skewed our net spend not our spending. The ignorance is bewildering.

So? I understood that. What I am saying is that it was all planned as such, for example we wouldn't have bought VVD if we hadn't sold Coutinho. In fact we tried to get VVD on the cheap even tapping him, but withdrew when we saw that Southampton was serious about the price even at the risk of somebody else buying him. However, as soon as we sold Coutinho, we went immediately for VVD at the asking price. Therefore, we do not spend too much from our funds, thus we are ranked 14th in terms of player's investment/net spend. You really need to try hard not to see this. It started from day one with the sale of Torres, it's a policy.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Bit taking that net spend figure and using it as a stick to beat the owners is just stupid. You have to look at what we’ve done with the money and that is a lot. We’ve improved the squad massively with that money and as we don’t have the money of City et al that’s the way we have to work. It’s not hard to understand and not a bad way of working.

Tell me this, would you rather be like we are now or have a bigger net spend like Utd, Arsenal, Everton, West Ham and be in their position?

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A

Tell me this, would you rather be like we are now or have a bigger net spend like Utd, Arsenal, Everton, West Ham and be in their position?

I would rather we were sustainable at this level and that is the next challenge. This may mean picking up a Werner for £35m rather than a Maddison for £75m. The others have to spend so much time after time to vainly attempt to catch up. The owners and majority of the fans want this and sometimes it means selling a player to get to the next level.

Our position is a reward for all our hard work. The belief from the fans all around the ground sucking that ball into the net in the last minute, the hard working midfield unit, the recruitment team, the planning and detail put in by Klopp. This didn't all just happen by accident. Sometimes a plan works sometimes it fails but the effort that is going in from all angles is why it is working.

So if you want more of the same don't knock it.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Bit taking that net spend figure and using it as a stick to beat the owners is just stupid. You have to look at what we’ve done with the money and that is a lot. We’ve improved the squad massively with that money and as we don’t have the money of City et al that’s the way we have to work. It’s not hard to understand and not a bad way of working.

No we don't have the money of City but we are spending well below what we can afford. Replying to your answer, it's not because those clubs have spent more that us than they are below us, I would prefer to have a better squad than what we have, I would prefer we had better than Lovren and Origi. In general the better the squad the bigger the chance of winning trophies. We have won only 3 trophies since FSG took us over about 9 years back and when we have been able to have a good first team, we decide to stop investing.

Last edited by EnergisedReds; 10/11/19 02:52 PM.
V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
It's too early to tell whether we have stopped investing or not, though.

It might be that we are simply waiting for THE right player, or are shoring up funds to buy Mbappe.

You know how Klopp works - he will prefer to wait if the market isn't right atm.

If we still have bought 0 players in a years time I'd start worrying about lack of investment.

But when the likes of Lallana and Milner finally leave, there will surely be some good replacements coming in.

Wouldn't surprise me if we landed a big name next summer, or even now in January.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

It might be that we are simply waiting for THE right player, or are shoring up funds to buy Mbappe.

You know how Klopp works - he will prefer to wait if the market isn't right atm.

If we still have bought 0 players in a years time I'd start worrying about lack of investment.

But when the likes of Lallana and Milner finally leave, there will surely be some good replacements coming in.

Wouldn't surprise me if we landed a big name next summer, or even now in January.

Good to dream, even Klopp said not possible.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/...ys-jurgen-klopp

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

Very sensible and the most likely (maybe not Mbappe though).

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By redordead13
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Yet we’re top of the league by 6 points and European champions for the sixth time. Blinking misers.

Have we won it already and if not it will be because of our miser owners. They were lucky to get Klopp which is putting blinkers on a lot of eyes.

Hiring Klopp was part of their management. United tried and failed. They've given him the resources he's needed to succeed.

Our squad is worth 965 Million pounds, bested only by City's which is 1.15 Billion.

One of VvD legs is worth £965 million alone smile

Last edited by ecnirp98; 11/11/19 06:53 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion