Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Under 23 Player
OP Offline
Under 23 Player
T
But they did get Pulisic in Jan... when we got...er… nobody in Jan either I believe whistle

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
It’s got nothing to do with FSG. Money is there and if Klopp wanted someone we’d have gone for them. Not sure why everyone thinks different?

Maybe because we bought nobody and Klopp said we had bills to pay. In any case waiting for the annual report to see what bills we had to pay, won't be surprised if it is some shareholders loan.

A large chunk of bills we paid was giving new improved long term contracts to the likes of Firmino, Salah & Mane, which meant we kept them rather than losing them to the likes of RM & Barca, which has happened in previous seasons, also means on long contracts they have a larger sell on value in the coming seasons, when I expect we will sell and bring in new replacements.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
It’s got nothing to do with FSG. Money is there and if Klopp wanted someone we’d have gone for them. Not sure why everyone thinks different?

Maybe because we bought nobody and Klopp said we had bills to pay. In any case waiting for the annual report to see what bills we had to pay, won't be surprised if it is some shareholders loan.

A large chunk of bills we paid was giving new improved long term contracts to the likes of Firmino, Salah & Mane, which meant we kept them rather than losing them to the likes of RM & Barca, which has happened in previous seasons, also means on long contracts they have a larger sell on value in the coming seasons, when I expect we will sell and bring in new replacements.

New improved contracts means higher wages for sure but every year and it will not be a big lump sum, can't see this eating up too much of our record revenues. On top of that we had a net gain of 60m last season on players' transactions, so even if you were right, we should have had that money to invest in players. I rather think we paid a big proportion of the shareholders loan taken to build the new stand which if true is wrong, it should have been financed over at least 10 years as capital expenditure.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By TheMightyLFC
But they did get Pulisic in Jan... when we got...er… nobody in Jan either I believe whistle

Exactly and I think they knew in Jan they will have a ban, clever.

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By redordead13
People mention quality back up for the front 3, but what teams actually have that?

When Barca had MSN, they didn't have anyone of the same quality to replace those three, but no one cared, because those 3 were so boss. Similarly, when one was out, the others stepped up.

City has Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Sane, D.Silva, B.Silva, Mahrez for 3 to 4 positions. Yes, some are much better than others but the gap is not as big as Origi or Brewster and our 3 forwards. They are our main opponents. Even Spurs have got Kane, Son, Eriksen, Lucas, Alli, Lamella as forwards maybe only the latter probably worst than Origi, Barca has Messi, Greizman, Suarez and Dembele and they are in less competitions than us in a softer league.

First, Sane is out for the season, so he doesn't count. D Silva is fading, and he and B Silva are midfielders, not forwards. So is De Bruyne. They have Sterling, Aguero, Jesus, and Mahrez for their front 3. We have Firmino, Salah, Mane, Shaquiri, Origi. City's replacements are slightly better, but theirs have to play more because of injuries. Our starters are less injury prone than the likes of Aguero, Sane. In the Midfield, De Bruyne has been injury prone too..

Erikson and Ali are not part of a front 3 either. Midfielders. Spurs have Lucas, Son, Kane, and Lamela. And they're a moot point, as far back as they are.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
People mention quality back up for the front 3, but what teams actually have that?

When Barca had MSN, they didn't have anyone of the same quality to replace those three, but no one cared, because those 3 were so boss. Similarly, when one was out, the others stepped up.

City has Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Sane, D.Silva, B.Silva, Mahrez for 3 to 4 positions. Yes, some are much better than others but the gap is not as big as Origi or Brewster and our 3 forwards. They are our main opponents. Even Spurs have got Kane, Son, Eriksen, Lucas, Alli, Lamella as forwards maybe only the latter probably worst than Origi, Barca has Messi, Greizman, Suarez and Dembele and they are in less competitions than us in a softer league.

First, Sane is out for the season, so he doesn't count. D Silva is fading, and he and B Silva are midfielders, not forwards. So is De Bruyne. They have Sterling, Aguero, Jesus, and Mahrez for their front 3. We have Firmino, Salah, Mane, Shaquiri, Origi. City's replacements are slightly better, but theirs have to play more because of injuries. Our starters are less injury prone than the likes of Aguero, Sane. In the Midfield, De Bruyne has been injury prone too..

Erikson and Ali are not part of a front 3 either. Midfielders. Spurs have Lucas, Son, Kane, and Lamela. And they're a moot point, as far back as they are.

I am talking about the squad City has not who is available or not. Yes they have been quite unlucky with injuries or we have been lucky, but can you imagine what will happen if our players get injured like them, they are only 3 points (or six) behind us after losing Sane, Laporte, De Bruyne for long periods this season. Both Silva's are attacking midfielders and can play on the wings, in fact Bernardo has played on the right wing a number of times. David Silva us fading? Probably but he could easily fit in our team and he is one of their best players this season. The whole point I am making is that we don't have a squad to play the number of games we have to play and losing any of our 3 forwards long term will be a huge problem, we had a glance against United when Salah was injured. Do you really think we can go all the way if one of our forwards hat injured long term?

You have a point regarding Spurs, but they are not our main opponents for the title

Last edited by EnergisedReds; 27/10/19 12:28 PM.
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad

I am talking about the squad City has not who is available or not. Yes they have been quite unlucky with injuries or we have been lucky, but can you imagine what will happen if our players get injured like them, they are only 3 points (or six) behind us after losing Sane, Laporte, De Bruyne for long periods this season. Both Silva's are attacking midfielders and can play on the wings, in fact Bernardo has played on the right wing a number of times. David Silva us fading? Probably but he could easily fit in our team and he is one of their best players this season. The whole point I am making is that we don't have a squad to play the number of games we have to play and losing any of our 3 forwards long term will be a huge problem, we had a glance against United when Salah was injured. Do you really think we can go all the way if one of our forwards hat injured long term?

You have a point regarding Spurs, but they are not our main opponents for the title

David Silva is class, but he couldn't play in this system. Not enough legs. Bernardo CAN play there the same way Ox or Gini can, but you omitted them. It's not really his position. If Aguero or Sterling got injured, they would have a significant wobble, as evidenced by December last year. Jesus has contributed, but so has Origi. They are a bit deeper up top than we are (though not that much), but we are much deeper defensively.

For example, our 4th choice CB is better than whoever would start next to Laporte (if he were fit).

VVD>Matip>Laporte>Gomez>Lovren>Oatamendi>Stones.

The difference is they have had significant injury issues at the back and lack of cover for awhile, and it got worse letting Kompany and Mangala go without replacements. Their best left back and their best Centerback are injury prone, and none of our front 3 have a record that suggests that they will spend much time on the table. A lot of that is down to recruitment. Even City can't be deep everywhere, and the places where you aren't, you have to have players you can count on to be fit.

They have more creativity than we do in their midfield, but our system is different than theirs, relying on the full backs for ammunition. We can rotate our midfield a lot without a significant drop in quality. Their best midfielder is also injury prone. Henderson and Ox have had injury problems in the past, but if we had to go with Milner and Keita instead, I don't see that big of a drop off.

I'm not that worried about the front three. Neither of them had any injury issues really before joining, and apart from one freak accident Mane had in his first season, none of them have had long spells out. We saw what we could do without Salah and Firmino against Barca, and look what happened. United is a weird game, and we always seem to struggle at OT.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

David Silva is class, but he couldn't play in this system. Not enough legs. Bernardo CAN play there the same way Ox or Gini can, but you omitted them. It's not really his position. If Aguero or Sterling got injured, they would have a significant wobble, as evidenced by December last year. Jesus has contributed, but so has Origi. They are a bit deeper up top than we are (though not that much), but we are much deeper defensively.

For example, our 4th choice CB is better than whoever would start next to Laporte (if he were fit).

The difference is they have had significant injury issues at the back and lack of cover for awhile, and it got worse letting Kompany and Mangala go without replacements. Their best left back and their best Centerback are injury prone, and none of our front 3 have a record that suggests that they will spend much time on the table. A lot of that is down to recruitment. Even City can't be deep everywhere, and the places where you aren't, you have to have players you can count on to be fit.

They have more creativity than we do in their midfield, but our system is different than theirs, relying on the full backs for ammunition. We can rotate our midfield a lot without a significant drop in quality. Their best midfielder is also injury prone. Henderson and Ox have had injury problems in the past, but if we had to go with Milner and Keita instead, I don't see that big of a drop off.

I'm not that worried about the front three. Neither of them had any injury issues really before joining, and apart from one freak accident Mane had in his first season, none of them have had long spells out. We saw what we could do without Salah and Firmino against Barca, and look what happened. United is a weird game, and we always seem to struggle at OT.

Bernardo Silva has played a number of times on the right wing and Jesus is playing regularly ahead of Aguero, David Silva can play on the wing as well and is still much better than Ox, Gini plays more as a defensive midfielder. It's true that they have had more injuries and not buying Maguire will cost them. Relying on our front 3 not getting injured is a huge risk IMO.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E

Bernardo Silva has played a number of times on the right wing and Jesus is playing regularly ahead of Aguero, David Silva can play on the wing as well and is still much better than Ox, Gini plays more as a defensive midfielder. It's true that they have had more injuries and not buying Maguire will cost them. Relying on our front 3 not getting injured is a huge risk IMO.

I agree it's a risk, but I do not see who we could have brought in as top quality cover who would happily sit on the bench behind the front 3, I would have liked us to sign someone, but Klopp didn't, we all know how stubborn he is, he must be happy with Origi & Brewster as cover, time will tell I guess, lets see how they do on Wednesday, Elliott could be the surprise player to come off the bench.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98

I agree it's a risk, but I do not see who we could have brought in as top quality cover who would happily sit on the bench behind the front 3, I would have liked us to sign someone, but Klopp didn't, we all know how stubborn he is, he must be happy with Origi & Brewster as cover, time will tell I guess, lets see how they do on Wednesday, Elliott could be the surprise player to come off the bench.

There is a full army of scouts working at LFC so will be very surprised they couldn't find better than Origi, in any case Origi is a different player so not even a replacement for any of the 3 forwards if ever they are unfit, he is more a plan B if anything. United made a great business by buying the young James at 15m, that kind of purchase would have been a great addition if we didn't have the means to buy a proven player. But yes, too late now, let's hope our forwards don't get injured in the next couple of months and we sort this out in Jan, I might be hoping there.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion