Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By The Kop Prophet
It's really quite simple. Just correct every wrong call - that's it! No need to worry about embarrassing the ref - no other sport does. So far, we use VAR to get every single handball right, every single fractional offside right.... but it's been absolutely useless at overturning the ref's wrong decisions on pens and goals. So what's the point? If incorrect decisions are allowed to stand - or the refs can't be bothered to check the monitors - or we can't overturn anything a ref has called that leads to a pen or a goal then there's no point having it at all.

VAR is fine - the way we use it is moronic.

100% correct. I have no idea why in this country the ref's ego or standing has to be a factor. Refs should not be famous. They should do their job and call the games. That's it.

Whether the ref is being "undermined" is not a factor. The rules exist for a fair game, and the rules should be enforced fairly and correctly. I watch a lot of Serie A, MLS, and the Bundesliga, and VAR works fine there. The English FA, as usual, is being a bunch of dinosaurs, afraid of stepping on their ref chummies' toes. It's ludicrous.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By redordead13
It's really quite simple. Just correct every wrong call - that's it! No need to worry about embarrassing the ref - no other sport does. So far, we use VAR to get every single handball right, every single fractional offside right.... but it's been absolutely useless at overturning the ref's wrong decisions on pens and goals. So what's the point? If incorrect decisions are allowed to stand - or the refs can't be bothered to check the monitors - or we can't overturn anything a ref has called that leads to a pen or a goal then there's no point having it at all.

100% correct. I have no idea why in this country the ref's ego or standing has to be a factor. Refs should not be famous. They should do their job and call the games. That's it.

Whether the ref is being "undermined" is not a factor. The rules exist for a fair game, and the rules should be enforced fairly and correctly. I watch a lot of Serie A, MLS, and the Bundesliga, and VAR works fine there. The English FA, as usual, is being a bunch of dinosaurs, afraid of stepping on their ref chummies' toes. It's ludicrous.

Watching the City game against Atlanta and the use of VAR is much much better and the ref takes complete responsibility by going to check himself the penalty decision. The EPL refs should learn

H
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
H
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty
Originally Posted By Hercules/AF 58
Originally Posted By elimmel
Yes and the monitors are there. But not one ref went to view it and we’re heading into match week 10

Why should the ref's employ a dog and then bark themselves? Surely they can rely on those already employed reading and scrutinising the monitors?
VAR slows things up enough as it is, without the ref's trundling off to view a monitor when he has the relevant information already in his ear.

Yes I understand what you are saying but when VAR is new and we look at the experience of the referee Atkinson against that of the VAR official we are talking about 15 years in PL v 15 games in the PL. Given that level of experience difference we are not going to get much reversed unless the man in the middle can own up to his error.

Yes I can see the point there. What I don't understand is how Atkinson got to be in charge of the Var, given his well known decisions where Liverpool is concerned?

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

Watching the City game against Atlanta and the use of VAR is much much better and the ref takes complete responsibility by going to check himself the penalty decision. The EPL refs should learn

MLS teams are in the UCL now? wink

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

MLS teams are in the UCL now? wink

Ok Atalanta

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion