Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad

by JACK MONTGOMERY 22 Sep 2019

John Humphrys, the veteran British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) journalist who helmed its flagship Today programme for 33 years, exposed the publicly-funded broadcaster “institutional liberal bias” within days of his retirement.

Mr Humphrys expressed his relief at being free from “the BBC Thought Police” which he claims has “tried to mould the nation into its own liberal-Left image”, despite the broadcaster’s notional legals requirement to remain balanced and impartial, in memoirs which are being serialised by the Daily Mail.

The 76-year-old Welshman revealed the BBC’s “[great] fear of the politically correct brigade and the most fashionable pressure groups — usually from the liberal Left, the spiritual home of most bosses and staff”, and how the “disaster” of the British people’s vote to Leave the European Union in 2016 — against the advice of the left-neoliberal establishment — sent them reeling:
“The morning of the EU Referendum was different. Leave had won — and this was not what the BBC had expected. Nor what it wanted.

No nods and smiles when the big bosses appeared. No attempt to pretend that this was anything other than a disaster.

Their expressions were as grim as the look on the face of a football supporter when his team’s star player misses the penalty that would have won them the cup.”

Humphrys, though he voted to Remain in the European Union himself, said the result “exposed a fundamental flaw in the culture of the BBC”, and that “Its bosses, almost to a man and woman, could simply not grasp how anyone could have put a cross in the Leave box on the referendum ballot paper.”

He suggested that the public broadcasters was similarly out of touch on issues such as mass migration, and how the efforts of Robin Aitken, a senior BBC journalist, to put together a dossier highlighting the way the corporation had fallen into a “Left-wing agenda [which] was ‘wholeheartedly and unashamedly pro-EU’” were met first with silence and then with an instruction to “f**k off”.

“There is, I believe, a groupthink mentality, an implicit BBC attitude to what makes news,” Humphrys opined, suggesting its “institutional liberal bias” was not so much a product of conspiracy as of its tendency to recruit middle-class liberal arts graduates–” a disproportionately large proportion of whom had been to private schools” — trained by left-wing academics.

“This may explain why the BBC sometimes fails so badly to spot a change in the nation’s mood — in hugely important areas,” he added.

“Immigration was one of them.”

Humphrys is not the first BBC veteran to highlight the corporation’s bias — although for his part Humphrys believes it is still a “force for good” overall — with Peter Sissons, who presented the BBC Nine O’Clock News and the BBC Ten O’Clock News for a decade, having alleged that a left-wing “mindset” was “At the core of the BBC, in its very DNA” in 2011.

“By far the most popular and widely read newspapers at the BBC are The Guardian and The Independent,” he revealed, referring to two major left-wing, europhile outlets.

“Producers refer to them routinely for the line to take on ­running stories, and for inspiration on which items to cover,” he said.

“In the later stages of my career, I lost count of the number of times I asked a producer for a brief on a story, only to be handed a copy of The Guardian and told ‘it’s all in there’.”

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Shock horror!

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
The BBC has only one view

Liberal left

They don't even try to hide it anymore the sooner the BBC is subscription only the better then anyone of that political persuasion can watch it until their hearts content and the rest of us free to watch what we want without fear of prosecution or being sent to jail

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park

Liberal left

They don't even try to hide it anymore the sooner the BBC is subscription only the better then anyone of that political persuasion can watch it until their hearts content and the rest of us free to watch what we want without fear of prosecution or being sent to jail

Says who, I would say they are quite neutral from what I have seen. I would say the same regarding Sky News

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

Liberal left

Says who, I would say they are quite neutral from what I have seen. I would say the same regarding Sky News

Vish in Mauritius do you have to pay £150 to watch a TV channel or go to jail ? That's the case in Britain and it's mostly the poor who are jailed.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

Liberal left

Vish in Mauritius do you have to pay £150 to watch a TV channel or go to jail ? That's the case in Britain and it's mostly the poor who are jailed.

Not £150 but Rs 150 to the state tv which by the way I rarely watch despite paying because of the big government bias, whichever the government. You should be proud of your state tv who have no problems to say what they want even if it is against the government. I would add that I noticed a lot of people watching BBC regularly in UK, things like Coronation street and other soaps. Even MOTD is great.

M
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
M
Humphreys allegations are more propoganda for the sheep.

The leave campaign got a lot of coverage,almost like it was planned that they would win.

Then,spend the next three plus years not actually leaving.

E
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
the bbc is world renowned for its neutrality , have a look at news tv in america for mental partisanship... its not ever going to be perfect but if u think its for the left remember the treatment they gave diane abbot on question time.

M
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
M
Saddam Husseins weapons of mass destruction?

The BBC stated it as a fact day after day.

Turned out it was complete tosh.

You must be a shill on your laptop somewhere in London.

E
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By Markhutch1
Saddam Husseins weapons of mass destruction?

The BBC stated it as a fact day after day.

Turned out it was complete tosh.

You must be a shill on your laptop somewhere in London.

Proves my point.. everyone knew that was bull but the mainstream went with it, the bbc are mainstream ..if it was some liberal agenda it would have denied that bullcrap WMD govt line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion