Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad

The Football Association has written to Manchester City to ask the club for its response to a tweet sent by midfielder Bernardo Silva.

Silva compared City team-mate Benjamin Mendy to the character on the packet of Conguitos - a sweet brand available in Spain and Portugal.

The anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out had earlier called on the FA to act after the governing body confirmed it was investigating.

Manchester City declined to comment.

"We are extremely disappointed to see the tweet posted by Bernardo Silva," said the anti-discrimination body.

The post was published at 12:44 BST on Sunday but was deleted at 13:30.

Bernardo then tweeted: "Can't even joke with a friend these days."

France defender Mendy and Silva are close friends and played together at Monaco before both joined City in 2017.

Mendy responded to the tweet and did not appear to take offence. A previous video of Silva joking with Mendy has also been passed on to the FA.

A Kick It Out statement added: "Racist stereotypes are never acceptable as 'banter', and we're shocked that someone who is a role model to millions has failed to understand the discriminatory nature of his post.

"The FA has been notified and we believe that retrospective action should be taken, including mandatory education - which is vital to challenge offensive behaviour such as this."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49788633

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
So we should expect to see a no less than 8 match ban and mandatory education on racist stereotypes? Possibly more "if" the video also shows racist stereotyping by Mendy!

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Pickles
So we should expect to see a no less than 8 match ban and mandatory education on racist stereotypes? Possibly more "if" the video also shows racist stereotyping by Mendy!

I mean this is nonsense, if Mendy is not offended I don't understand the problem

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I love a chocolate coated peanut.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
It was in the public domain, had this been them in a closed room bantering with one another and somebody overheard them from outside then i can understand two friends joking and that their joke was not intended to be heard.

This was on twitter and instagram, this should be treated with the same ferocity that the Suarez / Evra incident was, which had much less evidence!

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
The post was published at 12:44 BST on Sunday but was deleted at 13:30.

Bernardo then tweeted: "Can't even joke with a friend these days."

Silva doubled down on his actions with his reply after deleting the tweet!

He obviously feels comfortable using racist stereotypes in the public domain and in the current era of racism in football and the hotbed of social media frenzy, he should have the book thrown at him (figuratively speaking).

Will Sterling come out and have a strop about this because he's been an advocate about racism in football recently?

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I also love a chocolate coated raisin.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
G
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
G
Somebody has been smashing the revels

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Had to give up the revels,too many of those sneaky toffee bastarddds.

Last edited by lumba; 24/09/19 07:16 PM.

G
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
G
Got tired of living dangerously and settled into the malteser life. Thats when you know you're getting old.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion