Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Manchester City and England defender John Stones will be out for between four and five weeks after suffering a muscle injury in training.

Stones suffered the injury in Ukraine on Tuesday, where City are preparing for Wednesday's Champions League group game with Shakhtar Donetsk.

The injury is a setback for City, who are also without Aymeric Laporte until January or February because of injury.

It leaves City with one established central defender in Nicolas Otamendi.

Laporte injury a problem after Guardiola told to limit spending
The injury comes as City prepare for a busy period of games in the Premier League, Champions League and Carabao Cup.

Stones, 25, could miss up to eight league and cup matches for reigning Premier League champions City, who suffered a surprise 3-2 defeat at newly-promoted Norwich last Saturday.

"For me as a manager it is an incredible challenge," said City boss Pep Guardiola after revealing the news about Stones' injury during a news conference.

"But I believe in something people don't know about - spirit and commitment. We will make steps forward to solve this problem."

After facing Shakhtar, City entertain Watford on Saturday before playing Championship Preston at Deepdale in the third round of the EFL Cup next Tuesday.

City are away to Everton on 28 September, host Dinamo Zagreb in the Champions League on 1 October before welcoming Wolves to Etihad Stadium five days later.

After the international break, Pep Guardiola's side are at Crystal Palace on 19 October and then host Italian side Atalanta in the Champions League three days later.

France centre-back Laporte, 25, had surgery on his right knee after being carried off during the 4-0 win over Brighton on 31 August.

City are second in the Premier League table, five points behind leaders Liverpool.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49733568

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
If only they’d strengthened whistle

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
we need to look at ourselves not city

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
R
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
R
Do people really not know about spirit and commitment?

I've known about that for years!

Ahead of my time..

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By RedJohn
Do people really not know about spirit and commitment?

I've known about that for years!

Ahead of my time..

good on you john

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
H
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
H
I hope we pick ourselves up in time for Chelsea, we look leggy already, and decision making also looks way, way off, that's generally a sign of tiredness. The good Klopp'o needs to earn his corn now, and get the lads back on song for the weekend.

P
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
P
I'm not overly concerned about the Napoli game. We'll get out of the group and that is all we need to do at this point. The league games we need to keep banging out wins as we know how difficult a task it is to beat city. And I think we can do that.

It would have been humid there so that could have caused tiredness.

Last edited by paul66; 18/09/19 06:50 PM.
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Kyle Walker now injured...

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By paul66
I'm not overly concerned about the Napoli game. We'll get out of the group and that is all we need to do at this point. The league games we need to keep banging out wins as we know how difficult a task it is to beat city. And I think we can do that.

It would have been humid there so that could have caused tiredness.

More humid than Liverpool? That would be a challenge I think

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
If only they’d strengthened whistle

They have, this is why Fernandinho will play in central defence and Rodri who they bought for 65m will take Fernandinho's place in the midfield. Otherwise they rested their best player so far, ie, Aguero in the CL game and Jesus scored, that will help to keep the former fresher while our Firmino has to get fit quicker whistle

Last edited by EnergisedReds; 19/09/19 02:30 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion