Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By Snakeye
This is assuming we are challenging City at that stage of the season? If not I'd rather go and win a trophy that the club has never won before.

Lots of ifs, all we can presume/hope is that we will challenge, the PL is the trophy most fans want.

At least we will know by the time this competition starts whether we are challenging or not for PL, so as you say, if we are not, we go all out to win it. I never said I didn't want to win it, just that it could affect our PL challenge (if we are in one), the competition will be covered allot around the world (even if the profile isn't high in UK) so it will be good for the club profile.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
If we don’t needlessly sell any players and strengthen we’ll, why can’t we cope with two extra games whether they’re in Qatar or not? This is what happens when you’re successful. It’s tough at the top and all that but I’d rather we be going than not as it means we’ve actually won something.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Pickles
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Originally Posted By Pickles
Having to travel to Qatar in December though?

Klopp likes a warm weather break!

I can see this seriously impacting our PL challenge with a fixture backlog and extra games if City are anything like they were the last 2 seasons (no reason to think they will not be).

I think it's in Qatar's winter so temps will be warmish but not stifling hot. The problem I have is mid season to a place known to violate and flout human rights laws. There's also the fact "if" at the time it's turning into a 2 horse race again - Us v City, how easy would it be for the players to be nobbled out there? Let's face it there was a few players who got ill on our last trip over that way, end of January to Dubai and we all know those folks don't play by the rules!

[b][/b]

What do you mean? And btw, Qatar and UAE are not on good terms, not even talking to each other

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Why would it impact our season? Its only a 1 week event. City were playing catch up until the last weeks of the season, it didn't bother them as they ended with 3 trophies.

It's 2 games believe as we eneter at the SF phase, but also travel. Xmas is the busiest time of the season with fixtures in short spaces of time and the FA Cup, City have a stronger squad, so could cope with the fixtures better than us, they can bring on the likes of Sane/Mahrez/Jesus/Gundogan, if this PL is as close as last season, this could be the thing that is the difference.

Nobody is preventing us to have a deeper squad and money should not be a problem. So if we are serious about winning the EPL, we need to show it n action.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Why would it impact our season? Its only a 1 week event. City were playing catch up until the last weeks of the season, it didn't bother them as they ended with 3 trophies.

It's 2 games believe as we eneter at the SF phase, but also travel. Xmas is the busiest time of the season with fixtures in short spaces of time and the FA Cup, City have a stronger squad, so could cope with the fixtures better than us, they can bring on the likes of Sane/Mahrez/Jesus/Gundogan, if this PL is as close as last season, this could be the thing that is the difference.

Nobody is preventing us to have a deeper squad and money should not be a problem. So if we are serious about winning the EPL, we need to show it n action.

I agree, I think we should sign players of their quality to improve our squad and rival City, we have money and our profile has never been higher, so we should use that to attract the top players, the problem is all the noises from the club and assosciated reporters in the know is that there are no big signings coming in, just a few small signings for cover, which in my book is not strengthening the squad.

Hopefully this is just a clever smoke screen and we get some top signings like we did with Fab & Alisson.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

I agree, I think we should sign players of their quality to improve our squad and rival City, we have money and our profile has never been higher, so we should use that to attract the top players, the problem is all the noises from the club and assosciated reporters in the know is that there are no big signings coming in, just a few small signings for cover, which in my book is not strengthening the squad.

Hopefully this is just a clever smoke screen and we get some top signings like we did with Fab & Alisson.

We'll find out how ambitious we are very soon. Last season we bought players only because we had money from the sale of Coutinho

Last edited by EnergisedReds; 08/06/19 01:59 PM.
A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
I know the PL is the one we want but I still think CL is the biggest. The police say 750,000 were on the streets on Sunday. No other club would get that level of support on a parade although I will admit not winning one of the big ones for a few years has something to do with that.

Moving on, we must try and win these competitions. They all count and we want to become serial winners. I would be disappointed if we didn't scoop all 3 trophies before Christmas.

I remember Scumchester missing the FA Cup for this. We should not have to miss anything but perhaps the PL will be kind to us regarding the fixture list in December as we go to Qatar to represent this country.

Prior to the decision this week there was going to be no tournament until 2021 and Real Madrid were to be reigning world champions until then. Now that is something we can go and win.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Originally Posted By RafaB
Rumour has it the club has asked to be withdrawn from the comp, Fifa said no.. We inquired regarding sending U23 side - Fifa stated we are obligated to send the best squad to Qatar for the comp.....

So I am lead to believe.. Think it played late Dec / Jan, not the best for Xmas period, no.

Maybe we can pull out of the FA Cup like the fecking Mancs did - can't ruin the Fecked cup anymore...Bet we would be denied that if we asked the FA...

The club asking to be withdrawn from this really surprised me. It is an excellent opportunity to win a trophy, win more fans and strengthen the brand. If City were in this with their Arab owners they would be all over this.

As it stands the plan for 2021 is still to have a 24 team competition replacing the Confederations Cup. We have already qualified for that tournament. It would really serve us well to be seen to be friends of FIFA and UEFA unlike City who are certainly at odds with UEFA at the moment.

When it goes to the 24 club format I am sure it will be a really big prize to win given the stature of the clubs involved in it. Of course any ban City get could prevent them from getting into this competition as they would be limited to one chance to qualify for it.

1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
i want to WIN the world club competition and the super cup

that will shut up other fans. would be great to be the 1st british team to win

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Unfortunately them from Old Toilet won it...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion