Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
M
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
M
Huge market? Is that because half of Liverpool are from Africa and the Middle east?

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By kernowred
no i was never looking for some sort of "fact based argument"stats can be bent to suit a discussion." beaten most men"for example.that may not state he was running down a blind alley and got tackled by the 2nd player who he was never going to beat.the fact that as an attacker he has less assists than our 2 full backs is no great argument.and how does a player who has a better shot accuracy and conversion rate get the same amount as goals as the player with less?but this isn't about whether Salah is better than Mane.Mane is a much more rounded player than Salah.i would much rather have 2 Mane's than 2 Salah's but its only my opinion.Salah is very one dimensional and predictable.again only my opinion.he may have a better scoring rate than Suarez did for us,but does that mean he's a better player than Suarez was for us?not in a million years.
All im saying is that at the moment Salah has a value that is much higher than his actual ability.so if a big offer came in i would take it and hope that Klopp could use the money to improve the team.

The issue is you are making your argument completely on the "eye test." Anecdotally, a few times that something didn't come off for Salah, and I could do the same for Mane for example. I can think of plenty of times of moments of magic when Mo created something out of nothing. We shout at eachother for hours, and this goes in circles and goes nowhere. What statistics do is let us see the whole season of data, and see whether what we see has a greater pattern.

What statistics can tell us is that Salah beats his man 60% of the time when he tries to take him on. Mane does 43%. Both of these are good, particularly when they have the ball high up the pitch, and it's low risk for them to try something. But more often than not, it comes off when Mo tries something. Things you saw, particularly when he was in a patch of bad form in December, gave you an impression that he was selfish or wasteful. If he executes perfectly 9/10 times from that point on, when you see the one bad pass, bad decision or bad touch (that all players will eventually make), your confirmation bias sets in and you remark about him always losing the ball or being selfish. This is normal and human, and it's why the eye test alone isn't enough.

The point about him having fewer assists than our fullbacks is pedantic and silly though. Our fullbacks are our creative outlet. That 's how our system is built. You realize Trent and Andy are #3 and #4 in the league for assists, right? 12 and 11, more than Sane, Sterling, Pogba, and Aguero. almost everyone has fewer assists than them. Salah had 8, tied with Aguero, and more than our other front 3 members combined.

Selling Salah would be beyond silly, unless we were offered stupid money. Find me another player who can create and score 30+ goals a season, 2 years on the bounce in the prem. Sterling and Sane haven't done it. Aguero hasn't done it. Hazard's only done it one year. Mane hasn't done it. The last player. The last player we had like that was Suarez, and we saw how hard it was to replace him.

1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Originally Posted By redordead13
no i was never looking for some sort of "fact based argument"stats can be bent to suit a discussion." beaten most men"for example.that may not state he was running down a blind alley and got tackled by the 2nd player who he was never going to beat.the fact that as an attacker he has less assists than our 2 full backs is no great argument.and how does a player who has a better shot accuracy and conversion rate get the same amount as goals as the player with less?but this isn't about whether Salah is better than Mane.Mane is a much more rounded player than Salah.i would much rather have 2 Mane's than 2 Salah's but its only my opinion.Salah is very one dimensional and predictable.again only my opinion.he may have a better scoring rate than Suarez did for us,but does that mean he's a better player than Suarez was for us?not in a million years.
All im saying is that at the moment Salah has a value that is much higher than his actual ability.so if a big offer came in i would take it and hope that Klopp could use the money to improve the team.

The issue is you are making your argument completely on the "eye test." Anecdotally, a few times that something didn't come off for Salah, and I could do the same for Mane for example. I can think of plenty of times of moments of magic when Mo created something out of nothing. We shout at eachother for hours, and this goes in circles and goes nowhere. What statistics do is let us see the whole season of data, and see whether what we see has a greater pattern.

What statistics can tell us is that Salah beats his man 60% of the time when he tries to take him on. Mane does 43%. Both of these are good, particularly when they have the ball high up the pitch, and it's low risk for them to try something. But more often than not, it comes off when Mo tries something. Things you saw, particularly when he was in a patch of bad form in December, gave you an impression that he was selfish or wasteful. If he executes perfectly 9/10 times from that point on, when you see the one bad pass, bad decision or bad touch (that all players will eventually make), your confirmation bias sets in and you remark about him always losing the ball or being selfish. This is normal and human, and it's why the eye test alone isn't enough.

The point about him having fewer assists than our fullbacks is pedantic and silly though. Our fullbacks are our creative outlet. That 's how our system is built. You realize Trent and Andy are #3 and #4 in the league for assists, right? 12 and 11, more than Sane, Sterling, Pogba, and Aguero. almost everyone has fewer assists than them. Salah had 8, tied with Aguero, and more than our other front 3 members combined.

Selling Salah would be beyond silly, unless we were offered stupid money. Find me another player who can create and score 30+ goals a season, 2 years on the bounce in the prem. Sterling and Sane haven't done it. Aguero hasn't done it. Hazard's only done it one year. Mane hasn't done it. The last player. The last player we had like that was Suarez, and we saw how hard it was to replace him.
great post

G
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
G
Originally Posted By *** Suso ***
Originally Posted By redordead13

great post

I must say after seeing the ridiculous post I was going to go in on Kernow. Was very pleased to see redordead beat me to it. Couldnt have put it better myself. Great post. It honestly baffles me Kernows vendetta against salah. He was literally the best player in the world last year and has performed at a world class level this year...what more do you want? You want to cash in and take a punt on someone else who isnt proven in the prem for massive money? We spent 35 million on salah we simply WONT get a better return on an investment than that transfer. End of story.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
It’s just his opinion (which I don’t agree with). Salah does have his flaws and some of what Kerno is saying is right. But his goals and assists would be really hard and a gamble to try and replace. I don’t care if his value drops as we won’t lose money on him so is really no point selling no matter how much we get offered. It would cost us nearly as much to get a replacement that can give us what he can so why bother?

Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
Guys feel free to”go in on me”it’s not going to upset me or change my views.its good to have honest discussions about our players it’s what the forum is for right?theres no point in me going over again what I feel about the non existent Salah situation.im just airing my views on him.it doesn’t mean I don’t like or don’t rate him.he’s a good player but not the world beater that he is hailed as.

H
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
H
Salah is worth more to us than his performance level, great and all as it is. Salah brings the fear factor on to the pitch, a very valuable commodity, he terrorises defence's, draws them out of shape and creates space for our other attacking players. He's still at an age where he retains his prime, his speed and all of his considerable powers. Managers fear him too and set up their teams to try and contain him, thus limiting their options. Selling a player of Salah's calibre and proven value, at this juncture in our development, would be like asking the mafia for a hole in the head, why would we want to do such a thing?

Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
Considerable powers?he's not one of the Avengers.you make it sound as if another player playing in his position doesn't need to be marked.Teams play like they do against us because we play with a front 3 and push the full backs on.
You have to remember that we are not a club who invest heavily in new players unless we know there is money coming in from players sales.we need a better squad and to do that we need to invest in the playing staff.at this time the best way to do that would be to get an inflated price for Salah as currently the sun shines from his behind.he has been very good for us,twice as good last season as he was this.im sure Klopp could get 2 top quality players for the price of one.But we probably wont sell him and we probably wont be making any big signing this summer.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Considerable powers?he's not one of the Avengers.you make it sound as if another player playing in his position doesn't need to be marked.Teams play like they do against us because we play with a front 3 and push the full backs on.
You have to remember that we are not a club who invest heavily in new players unless we know there is money coming in from players sales.we need a better squad and to do that we need to invest in the playing staff.at this time the best way to do that would be to get an inflated price for Salah as currently the sun shines from his behind.he has been very good for us,twice as good last season as he was this.im sure Klopp could get 2 top quality players for the price of one.But we probably wont sell him and we probably wont be making any big signing this summer.

I sort of agree with the bold part but I don't think it would be because of money

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
The only folks who've mentioned a potential Salah sale is the Spanish press and they just do it to try and unsettle players with no real gumption behind their made up stories.

Salah is going nowhere especially after winning the CL with us and us coming so close in the prem. The Owners have pretty much stated that we are at the point where we have no need to be selling our best players, just adding further quality to the team.

Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion