Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Dunk Online Content OP
KopTalk Editor
OP Online Content
KopTalk Editor
I must admit I thought we threw it away some time ago before the end of the season. I obviously kept my mouth shut as didn't want to sound like a defeatist; I prefer realist hand

Obviously you hope and you try and keep the faith but I just couldn't see City throwing it away whereas I felt we did.

The good thing though is we can now go into next season knowing that we are capable. Old skool KopTalkers will remember that back in the day the discussion on here was always about finishing in the Top 4 and that used to depress me so much.

Ok we've won nothing yet but it's certainly a better feeling having hope than thinking "nope, no chance".

Good times don't you think?

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
To say we threw it away is a bit harsh. It was only a point. The bad spell we had when we drew a few and City caught up will always be looked upon as us losing it but not for me. We fought to the last day. Had we gone on to lose more and more points then I think we could say we threw it away.

Did you think City had thrown it away when they lost to Palace and Leicester?

The best thing for me is that we’re challenging again. It’s where we want to be and long may it continue. Good times as you say.

Last edited by wilkij1975; 20/05/19 05:32 PM.
A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
With 97 points nothing was thrown away. As it turned out the draws cost us. But other things did too and you make your own luck in this game. Having secured late wins at Newcastle and Fulham and at home to Everton and Spurs with a late equaliser at Chelsea and City missing that last minute penalty you could be forgiven for thinking your name is on it.

But with all that good fortune came some bad luck. A perfect goal at Arsenal chalked off, the ball 11mm from going over the line at City and Kompany not getting sent off in that game. Maguire scoring that goal at Anfield when perhaps he should also have had a red card. The draw at Old Toilet when they were in the middle of a purple patch and their players were dropping like flies.

I also look at some of the performances teams put up against City and a couple of times we were not helped by mid table teams. Watford dropped Deeney and Deleufeu to the bench when they played City in their 14 win streak. Likewise Everton started Richarlison and Sigurdsson on the bench against them. If either of those two had the bottle to play for the points they may have qualified for Europe next season.

But throughout the whole PL season we lost one game which could have gone either way for the reasons already stated. We may lose 3 or 4 games next season and win the title with just 90 points.

I never thought City had thrown it away as even when they beat us they were still on course for over 100 points. But so were we.

At the end of the day I am proud to be a Liverpool fan and you only look back to last season to see that the team that beat us drew on their experience and almost matched what they did last season. Anything less (even one draw in their last 14 games) and we would have won it with the second biggest points tally ever.

The 4-0 thumping of Barcelona when we were written off by almost everyone was the most incredible performance of the season. Especially with Firmino and Salah out and coming off the back of that late win at Newcastle with Barcelona resting all their players that weekend.

I hope when we get to the CL final we can use our experience from last season and put ourselves on the trophy trail.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
I thought we lost it as soon as it was out of our hands, after we didn't beat Everton, City are too good a team to be leading and hope they drop points, I hoped/convinced myself that both teams would drop points during the run in, as most pundits were saying, but I had this doubt in the back of my mind that they are good enough with their squad to just keep winning.

I wouldn't call that throwing it away though, we dropped points in some difficult games, away at Everton & Utd, our 2 fiercest rivals over the years, a draw away is usually a decent result there, we had players off form like Salah, some of the games were played in difficult conditions, we just didn't get the breaks sometimes. City got close to dropping points, like the Burnley game & Leicester, they just managed to dig something out when they needed it, that's not our fault, they just got the break when they needed it.

As Wilki says, it's great to be serious challenger again, we have a great team that are great too watch, we will improve, this team will win things, enjoy !

Last edited by ecnirp98; 20/05/19 06:56 PM.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Thought it was gone after it was no longer in our hands and I think we bottled it in the United game. Btw, bottling it means we didn't have the experience to take the pressure, which is completely understandable as it was the first time the players faced this situation, they didn't go for a win, we had one shot on target from 35 yards I think. By contrast, City had to win 14 games and they really went for that. Are we going to get that kind of opportunity again, ie, City losing 4 games and especially at home against Palace, I can only hope so. I am afraid of their belief after winning 14 games. We will also need to convert those borderline wins into convincing wins and probably get at least 4 pts from City. Winning the league now means almost 100 pts, we have to start early and reinforcements is crucial.

V
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
V
Originally Posted By Dunk
I must admit I thought we threw it away some time ago before the end of the season. I obviously kept my mouth shut as didn't want to sound like a defeatist; I prefer realist hand

Obviously you hope and you try and keep the faith but I just couldn't see City throwing it away whereas I felt we did.

The good thing though is we can now go into next season knowing that we are capable. Old skool KopTalkers will remember that back in the day the discussion on here was always about finishing in the Top 4 and that used to depress me so much.

Ok we've won nothing yet but it's certainly a better feeling having hope than thinking "nope, no chance".

Dunk, the words "threw it away" and "bottling it", should not be used lol. Some fans just don't wanna face facts. We lead with 7 points, going to 10. But we have a better squad now, hopefully this season's experience will propel us on for next season.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Vicdamone

Dunk, the words "threw it away" and "bottling it", should not be used lol. Some fans just don't wanna face facts. We lead with 7 points, going to 10. But we have a better squad now, hopefully this season's experience will propel us on for next season.

Explain these facts to us then please? If you think losing with 97 points is bottling it or throwing it away then fair enough. But you couldn’t be more wrong if you tried.

V
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
V
Originally Posted By wilkij1975

Explain these facts to us then please? If you think losing with 97 points is bottling it or throwing it away then fair enough. But you couldn’t be more wrong if you tried.

Had we won just ONE of those games, what do u think the outcome would've been,... the EPL title, fact. But let's stop dwelling over smilled milk, and move on.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Well no shitte Sherlock. But that doesn’t mean we bottled anything and to say we did couldn’t be more wrong. I suppose when City lost to Palace and Leicester you were sat there thinking “they’ve bottled it”? Ridiculous.

We drew a few games when we had a bad spell. Nothing more. We fought until the very end against possibly the best squad ever assembled in the premier league. We bottled nothing.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By wilkij1975

Not what he said. Bottling it is to let a 7 pts lead go in half the season (no team has ever done that) or having one shot against United who lost 3 players in the first half. You cannot bottle it over a whole season, ie, 97 pts but you can in a few games or specific moments. Not bottling it for example is City winning 14 times when they needed to and doing everything for it, did you watch their game against United?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion