Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 114 of 174 1 2 112 113 114 115 116 173 174
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
UK Parliament Speaker: ‘Arguable Case’ Govt May Have Broken Rules Over Brexit

By Breitbart London - 03 Dec 2018

John Bercow, the speaker of the United Kingdom’s House of Commons has decided the government may be in contempt of Parliament by not publishing the legal advice it revealed over Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit deal.

The government took legal advice from Attorney General Geoffrey Cox on its Brexit plan and was subsequently told by a vote of Parliament to make the document available to members of the house. DUP Westminster faction leader Sammy Wilson has claimed if the document were to go public it would reveal that the Prime Minister had lied to the country about her Brexit plan.

Rather than publishing the full document, however, on Monday the government published a 43-page document summarising Cox’s legal opinion instead. Opposition parties demanded the attorney general’s full, original advice, claiming the government would be in contempt of Parliament if it did not comply.

House of Commons Speaker John Bercow agreed late Monday there was an “arguable case” that contempt had been committed. His assessment means Parliament will debate the issue Tuesday, likely delaying the start of the main Brexit debate.

Lawmakers can send the issue to a committee with the power to sanction ministers.

The most contentious legal issue arising from the Brexit agreement is how Britain could get out of a “backstop” provision that would keep the country in a customs union with the EU to guarantee an open border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

The backstop is intended as a temporary measure, but pro-Brexit lawmakers say it could leave Britain tied to the EU indefinitely and unable to strike new trade deals around the world.

The legal advice confirmed that Britain can’t unilaterally opt out of the backstop, which requires either an agreement with the EU or a decision by an arbitration panel.

In a statement to Parliament, Cox confirmed that “there is no unilateral right of either party to terminate this arrangement.”

Cox said he would have preferred that not to be the case, but that he supported the divorce deal as “a sensible compromise.”

“The divorce and separation of nations from long and intimate unions, just as of human beings, stirs high emotion and calls for wisdom and forbearance,” he said.

The Associated Press contributed to this story

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By TiredReds

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, so somewhere deep, deep, deep down within the twisty, long, winding chasms of Vish there is actually a smidgen of humour...well played smile

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Pickles
Originally Posted By TiredReds

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, so somewhere deep, deep, deep down within the twisty, long, winding chasms of Vish there is actually a smidgen of humour...well played smile

I do joke about the current leader of the free world as well, especially when he made the mistake on what he said on Putin.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Looks like May will be gone before Christmas, then what? Any guesses

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I think she’ll stick it out but I’m passed caring now. These self serving cvnts from all parties are playing with our future for their own gain. It’s fukking sickening and how any of them can sleep at night is beyond me?

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
I think she’ll stick it out but I’m passed caring now. These self serving cvnts from all parties are playing with our future for their own gain. It’s fukking sickening and how any of them can sleep at night is beyond me?

Totally agree even I have stopped following it now I would not be surprised if our MP,s stop brexit altogether. In some ways I hope that happens. Let them reap what comes next

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
Originally Posted By wilkij1975

Totally agree even I have stopped following it now I would not be surprised if our MP,s stop brexit altogether. In some ways I hope that happens. Let them reap what comes next

Looks like you want the shyte to hit the fan and it's not the MPs who will reap anything but the people.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
The MP,s are getting a battering in the EU that will happen in Britain new political parties will form and they might not be very nice. Liberal democracy is crashing all over the west and it's due to the political class ignoring people. I fear for brexit at the moment and if that's denied many people will feel votes are worthless. That's very dangerous

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
The MP,s are getting a battering in the EU that will happen in Britain new political parties will form and they might not be very nice. Liberal democracy is crashing all over the west and it's due to the political class ignoring people. I fear for brexit at the moment and if that's denied many people will feel votes are worthless. That's very dangerous

I understand what you are saying but it looks to me that uniting the UK is going to be very complicated whatever the decision by MPs, ie, deal, no deal or no Brexit. It shows how far politicians go to win elections, ie, Cameron. He will probably be remembered as the one who divided UK. I think the most realistic way of uniting the nation is a referendum on the 3 options if the negotiated deal doesn't go through the commons. The Brexiters are saying Brexit will win again, but for them it means no deal, maybe that's what the majority wants, maybe not. Maybe the majority is ok with May's deal or maybe now that everything is clear, the majority wants to stay. If there is no referendum, a big proportion will still feel cheated.

Last edited by TiredReds; 07/12/18 03:54 AM.
Page 114 of 174 1 2 112 113 114 115 116 173 174

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion