43 FC København
44 KAA Gent
45 Olympique de Marseille
46 VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach
47 FC Krasnodar
48 FC Viktoria Plzeň
49 Celtic FC
50 FC Lokomotiv Moskva

We have moved into the top 20 for the first time since Rafa left, and are now above Spurs, United, and Chelsea. 14th is the highest we have been ranked in quite some time, and with our poor 12-15 return about to be blotted out, we should be even higher next year. This is critically important, as we will now be seeded favorably and likely be in pot 2 minimum in future drawings. Perhaps we will see a day where LFC is ranked 1st in Europe again. . .

Last edited by redordead13; 25/10/18 09:39 PM.
C
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
C
If the display against Red Star is anything to go by, we can certainly be the leading powerhouse in European football again. UEFA would hate that. They will dread the thought of Liverpool and English clubs in general dominating the Champions League again.

I can't wait.

1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Why would they hate that? Surely they want big historical clubs with large followings to do well.

That's why they changed the rules about the top 4 leagues having 4 spots and avoid qualifyers. I'm sure they would love United, Arsenal, and Milan to be in the mix of things as well.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By chesterville
If the display against Red Star is anything to go by, we can certainly be the leading powerhouse in European football again. UEFA would hate that. They will dread the thought of Liverpool and English clubs in general dominating the Champions League again.

I can't wait.

Total BS though a lot of people don't like the English, starting with home nations, ie, Irish, Scots and even the Welsh. If you add a lot of the former colonies and now lots of EU nationals after Brexit, the list does get long.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
It is amazing to see City on there who are never going to win the CL as high as 8th.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By SSO
It is amazing to see City on there who are never going to win the CL as high as 8th.

What makes you think they'll never win the CL?

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
How do they work the ranking out?

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
It's completely random Lumbs! grin

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
You're not wrong Goghy.. Arsenal crazy

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I'm guessing qualifying alone for the Champs league has alot to do with it.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
I'm guessing most of it is around consistency, we dropped out the CL for a few years, so dropped down the rankings, but then City qualify every year for about 10 years, have never had any real success in the CL and are up there.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Originally Posted By TiredReds
Originally Posted By SSO

They have been throwing money money and more money after it for the last 10 years without really looking like troubling the major players. If they cross our path again we will turf them out like we did last year. They are just not up to it. They play in a stadium that is not theirs and not paid for by themselves so that the money their owners can spend on players and wages is just obscene and they are still nowhere near winning the CL. It is just not in their DNA as a club and every time they take on a big fish in this competition in the knock out phase they will bite the dust.

A club has to crave CL football with its fans breathing it in and out with every kick header and tackle made on the field. Even though they are favourites to win it this year in my eyes their success in it to me would be as surprising as Leicester winning the PL.

They simply don't have the belief. The stadium is not theirs, they hire the most successful managers, pay silly wages to players who are going to be on the bench and they can't fill their ground every week. Worse than that is that because they don't own their ground they have been allowed to spend spend spend on the pitch way beyond what any other club here can do because everyone else has had to pay their way. And the worst of all has to be that stupid fukkin dance that they pinched off of Lech Posnan because they have nothing new to offer.

Eight attempts and they have been twice eliminated by Barca and once by RM, Monaco, Sporting Lisbon, Dynamo Kiev and ourselves. One semi final and one quarter final is a very poor return for a side with so much money to spend.

I despise them nearly as much as Scumchester and Chelsea.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By lumba
I'm guessing qualifying alone for the Champs league has alot to do with it.

I think it's based on 5 last years of qualification and stage reached in Europe, both CL and EL but with coefficient. It's very well defined and definitely not random.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By SSO
Originally Posted By TiredReds
Originally Posted By SSO

They have been throwing money money and more money after it for the last 10 years without really looking like troubling the major players. If they cross our path again we will turf them out like we did last year. They are just not up to it. They play in a stadium that is not theirs and not paid for by themselves so that the money their owners can spend on players and wages is just obscene and they are still nowhere near winning the CL. It is just not in their DNA as a club and every time they take on a big fish in this competition in the knock out phase they will bite the dust.

A club has to crave CL football with its fans breathing it in and out with every kick header and tackle made on the field. Even though they are favourites to win it this year in my eyes their success in it to me would be as surprising as Leicester winning the PL.

They simply don't have the belief. The stadium is not theirs, they hire the most successful managers, pay silly wages to players who are going to be on the bench and they can't fill their ground every week. Worse than that is that because they don't own their ground they have been allowed to spend spend spend on the pitch way beyond what any other club here can do because everyone else has had to pay their way. And the worst of all has to be that stupid fukkin dance that they pinched off of Lech Posnan because they have nothing new to offer.

Eight attempts and they have been twice eliminated by Barca and once by RM, Monaco, Sporting Lisbon, Dynamo Kiev and ourselves. One semi final and one quarter final is a very poor return for a side with so much money to spend.

I despise them nearly as much as Scumchester and Chelsea.

I think they will win it under Pep, so rather sooner than later

1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad

It's based on European performance for the past 5 years. 4 points for qualifying for the champions league outright, points for winning qualifying rounds, knock out games, etc. Nothing random about it.

1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
1 Real Madrid CF
2 FC Barcelona
3 FC Bayern München
4 Club Atlético de Madrid
5 Juventus
6 Manchester City FC
7 Sevilla FC
8 Paris Saint-Germain
9 Arsenal FC
10 FC Porto
11 Liverpool FC
12 Chelsea FC
13 Borussia Dortmund
14 AS Roma
15 SSC Napoli
16 FC Shakhtar Donetsk
17 Tottenham Hotspur
18 Manchester United FC
19 FC Zenit
20 AFC Ajax
21 SL Benfica
22 Villarreal CF
23 FC Dynamo Kyiv
24 FC Schalke 04
25 Beşiktaş JK
26 AS Monaco FC
27 Olympique Lyonnais
28 Bayer 04 Leverkusen
29 FC Salzburg
30 FC Basel 1893
31 Sporting Clube de Portugal
32 PFC CSKA Moskva
33 RSC Anderlecht
34 Athletic Club
35 Olympiacos FC
36 VfL Wolfsburg
37 Club Brugge
38 ACF Fiorentina
39 Valencia CF
40 SS Lazio
41 PSV Eindhoven
42 AC Sparta Praha
43 FC Krasnodar
44 FC Viktoria Plzeň
45 Fenerbahçe SK
46 FC Internazionale Milano
47 Celtic FC
48 FC København
49 Olympique de Marseille
50 SC Braga

Up a few places. The fact that we earned no points in 16-17 is all that's holding us back, but it is very tight. We are 2 points behind Porto and 10 behind arsenal, and we should pull ahead of both, provided we make it out of the group (which shouldn't be too hard, considering we will go in pot 1 as holders). We have a zero point year and a 10 point year on our records, but when those come off, with the results we have been getting we could end up with a 120-130 point total in a few years and a ranking in the top 5.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2019

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad

Well...

They put their left arm in
and their left arm out
In, out, in, out,
And Sheikh it all about.
They do the Hokey Cokey and they turn around
And a big load of heavy brown paper bags appear
And whichever bag is heaviest goes 1st
And the next heaviest 2nd
And so on, and so forth

That's basically the gist of it!

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By redordead13
1 Real Madrid CF
2 FC Barcelona
3 FC Bayern München
5 Juventus
6 Sevilla FC
7 Paris Saint-Germain
8 Manchester City FC
9 FC Porto
10 Arsenal FC
11 Borussia Dortmund
12 FC Shakhtar Donetsk
13 AS Roma
14 Liverpool FC
15 SSC Napoli
16 Manchester United FC
17 FC Zenit
18 AS Monaco FC
19 Chelsea FC
20 Besiktas
21 SL Benfica
22 Tottenham Hotspur FC
23 FC Dynamo Kyiv
24 FC Basel 1893
25 FC Schalke 04
26 Bayer 04 Leverkusen
27 Villarreal CF
28 AFC Ajax
29 Olympique Lyonnais
30 PFC CSKA Moskva
31 Athletic Club
32 Sporting Clube de Portugal
33 RSC Anderlecht
34 FC Salzburg
35 VfL Wolfsburg
36 ACF Fiorentina
37 Olympiacos FC
38 PSV Eindhoven
39 AC Sparta Praha
40 Club Brugge
41 SS Lazio
42 SC Braga
43 FC København
44 KAA Gent
47 FC Krasnodar
48 FC Viktoria Plzeň
49 Celtic FC
50 FC Lokomotiv Moskva

We have moved into the top 20 for the first time since Rafa left, and are now above Spurs, United, and Chelsea. 14th is the highest we have been ranked in quite some time, and with our poor 12-15 return about to be blotted out, we should be even higher next year. This is critically important, as we will now be seeded favorably and likely be in pot 2 minimum in future drawings. Perhaps we will see a day where LFC is ranked 1st in Europe again. . .

The only good thing about this other than showing progress is that we will be seeded more favourably for the group phase. Other than that there is not much. We were below 20th but made 2 finals, so, it is only helpful for the seeding which usually is not a huge problem. Sometimes non seeded teams are as strong, ask the Napoli President. I do think however that 5 years is too long to consider, 3 years should be the maximum, ideally 2, then it will better reflect the latest strength of a team.

1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
1 Real Madrid CF
2 FC Barcelona
3 FC Bayern München
5 Juventus
6 Sevilla FC
7 Paris Saint-Germain
8 Manchester City FC
9 FC Porto
10 Arsenal FC
11 Borussia Dortmund
12 FC Shakhtar Donetsk
13 AS Roma
14 Liverpool FC
15 SSC Napoli
16 Manchester United FC
17 FC Zenit
18 AS Monaco FC
19 Chelsea FC
20 Besiktas
21 SL Benfica
22 Tottenham Hotspur FC
23 FC Dynamo Kyiv
24 FC Basel 1893
25 FC Schalke 04
26 Bayer 04 Leverkusen
27 Villarreal CF
28 AFC Ajax
29 Olympique Lyonnais
30 PFC CSKA Moskva
31 Athletic Club
32 Sporting Clube de Portugal
33 RSC Anderlecht
34 FC Salzburg
35 VfL Wolfsburg
36 ACF Fiorentina
37 Olympiacos FC
38 PSV Eindhoven
39 AC Sparta Praha
40 Club Brugge
41 SS Lazio
42 SC Braga
43 FC København
44 KAA Gent
47 FC Krasnodar
48 FC Viktoria Plzeň
49 Celtic FC
50 FC Lokomotiv Moskva

The only good thing about this other than showing progress is that we will be seeded more favourably for the group phase. Other than that there is not much. We were below 20th but made 2 finals, so, it is only helpful for the seeding which usually is not a huge problem. Sometimes non seeded teams are as strong, ask the Napoli President. I do think however that 5 years is too long to consider, 3 years should be the maximum, ideally 2, then it will better reflect the latest strength of a team.

We were in pot 3 this year, which was tough. As holders we're automatically in pot 1, but the next year after we will be seeded highly regardless.

H
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
H
Originally Posted By Pickles

Well...

They put their left arm in
and their left arm out
In, out, in, out,
And Sheikh it all about.
They do the Hokey Cokey and they turn around
And a big load of heavy brown paper bags appear
And whichever bag is heaviest goes 1st
And the next heaviest 2nd
And so on, and so forth

That's basically the gist of it!

Ha ha, excellent Pickles. As some have said it isn't random at all, it's all decided on weighting.....bag weight...as you so brilliantly put it.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Loved the Hokey Cokey..and that's what it's all about.

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Don't Rock The Boat, Lumbs
I'd like to know where you got the notion?

Another classic dance from every wedding and party nightclub...Hippodrome, Maxims etc...!

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Don't forget Daves disco

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
What was that? sounds like Max & Paddy or Phoenix Nights?

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
It's Daves Disco..Every town and City had a Daves Disco.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
A quick youtube search comfirms that you can still book a Dave in 2019 for any occasion ,don't think he's a real Doc though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VQoVp7i4RA

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Ahh the bane of every kid in school called Dave
Disco Dave and the classic “Dave he can swim like a fish”! After the yearly Government ads about swimming safety! lol

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad

1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
It's in Istanbul next year, lads. Wouldn't it be something if we could retain our CL title in the stadium that gave us one of the best nights of our lives?

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
other classic adverts lol

1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
ESP: Barcelona, Atlético Madrid, Real Madrid, Valencia
ENG: Manchester City, Liverpool (holders), Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur
ITA: Juventus, Napoli, Atalanta, Internazionale Milano
GER: Bayern München, Borussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig, Bayer Leverkusen
FRA: Paris Saint-Germain, LOSC Lille, Lyon**
RUS: Zenit, Lokomotiv Moskva
POR: Benfica
UKR: Shakhtar Donetsk
BEL: Genk
TUR: Galatasaray
AUT: Salzburg*

Pot 1: Liverpool (holders), Chelsea (UEFA Europa League winners), Barcelona, Manchester City, Juventus, Bayern, Paris, Zenit

Pot 2: TBD but as it stands Real Madrid Atlético Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli,Shakhtar Donetsk, Tottenham Hotspur

Pot 2 or 3 depending on qualifying results: Lyon, Benfica

Pot 3: TBD but as it stands: Bayer Leverkusen, Red Bull Salzburg, Valencia, Inter Milan

Pot 3 or 4 Depending on qualifying results: Lokomotiv Moscow, Genk, RB Leipzig, Galatasaray

Pot 4 TBD As it stands: Lille, Atalanta

1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Would love to get Real Madrid, Inter, and Lille.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Would love to get Real Madrid, Inter, and Lille.

It's usually the 3rd pot that defines the strength of the group and teams in that pot are no pushovers. Would prefer Bayer

Last edited by EnergisedReds; 13/06/19 03:20 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion