Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#602518 07/05/18 02:35 AM
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Cristiano Ronaldo insists he will be fit to face Liverpool in Champions League final despite Real Madrid star requiring scan on injured ankle after hobbling off against Barcelona

Ronaldo was injured scoring Madrid's first goal in 2-2 draw with Barcelona.
The Portuguese star twisted his right ankle as he tangled with Gerard Pique.
He will have a scan on his ankle on Monday to discover the extent of the injury.

Zinedine Zidane confirmed Cristiano Ronaldo was taken at half time in the Clasico because of an ankle injury but he said he believed it would not threaten his place in the Champions League final.

‘Right now Cristiano is not good but I think it will be a small thing. He will have a scan on Monday. But he has told us that it will not be anything major,’ said the Madrid coach after Sunday's 2-2 draw.

Ronaldo twisted his right ankle as he scored the first equaliser for Real Madrid in a physical battle at the Nou Camp.

Goalkeeper Keylor Navas also took a battering during the game coming off worse after one clash with Paulinho.

Marcelo was also kicked in the first half by Philippe Coutinho in a game that saw a red card for Sergio Roberto and could have seen both teams further reduced.

Barcelona gave as good as they got and their second goal came after Luis Suarez kicked Raphael Varane. The referee did not spot the infringement and the goal stood.

Suarez admitted after the game: ‘I think it was a small foul. Sometimes the referee gives these things and sometimes he doesn’t.’

‘It’s very difficult for the referee,’ said Zidane after the game. Ernesto Valverde echoed those sentiments adding: ‘Sometimes we have to put ourselves in the shoes of the referee.’

He did question the sending off of Sergio Roberto however adding: ‘It would surprise me if it had been something worthy of a red card.'

The feisty edge to the game owed much to Real Madrid refusing to give Barcelona a guard of honour on to the pitch at the start of the match as is tradition for the newly-crowned league champions.

Gerard Pique asked Barcelona’s back-room staff to give the players a guard of honour off the pitch at the end.

‘Pique is full of surprises,’ said Valverde. ‘I was not really listening much at the end but he was asking for us to form the guard so we did.’

Pique added: ‘They [Madrid] did not give us the guard of honour so we have asked our own staff to do it instead.’

Gareth Bale is due to become a father again in the next 48 hours.

He was one of eight players booked on Sunday and is suspended for Real Madrid's next game against Sevilla. He will be with fiancee Emma Rhys-Jones who is pregnant with the couple's first son. They already have two daughters Alba Violet, five and Nava Valentina.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footbal...El-Clasico.html

Pickles #602519 07/05/18 02:51 AM
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Zidane has been trying to downplay the extent of the injury but any type of minor ankle sprain (Grade 1) is at least 2 weeks out!

(Grade 2) can take between 4-6 weeks to fully recover.

(Grade 3) can take up to 12 weeks to rehabilitate.

Now some folks will obviously not to want to wish ill on him, but me I can't stand the f*cker. He's been a great footballer but with him comes a lot of partizan support by the authorities in the game.

I'd be over the moon if he was out injured against us in the final/ I think it levels the playing field a bit without him in the Real Madrid team not because of his ability but his stature in the game and referees more likely to be influenced in their decisions for him and Real Madrid.

Pickles #602534 07/05/18 06:14 AM
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
If the football gods decide it's a Liverpool victory than even Zidane and Ronaldo playing won't make a difference. I prefer he plays because excuses will be thrown out.

Back to Back World Champions baby!
Pickles #602607 07/05/18 09:37 PM
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Part of he hopes he misses, but part of me wants to see us beat them with all their best.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I hope he plays as someone else said the gods will decide we are capable of winning either way it's our game we need to concentrate on

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Pickles #602611 07/05/18 10:01 PM
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
The only thing that incredibly talented shiitbox will do in the final is score a peno to win it.

Luis Garcia, He drinks sangria
He came from Barca, to bring us Joy
He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
please don't take my Luis away.

"...AND 32 MILLION POUNDS WORTH OF GOALKEEPER CAN'T DO A THING ABOUT IT"
Pickles #602744 09/05/18 04:59 PM
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Cristiano Ronaldo latest update: Real Madrid star's injury 'significant' - Spanish expert

CRISTIANO RONALDO injury could be worse than feared ahead of the Champions League final clash with Liverpool later this month.

Ronaldo went off at half-time in Sunday’s Clasico draw at Barcelona and is nursing an ankle problem.

Spanish media reported yesterday that Real Madrid have no fears about the Portuguese ahead of the European showdown with Jurgen Klopp’s Reds in Kiev on May 26.

But not everyone is so sure.

Spanish football expert Andy West thinks there is more to Ronaldo’s sprained ankle injury than has been revealed by Madrid.

He said on the BBC’S Euro Leagues Podcast: “I think it’s worth talking about what (manager Zinedine) Zidane might have to do if Ronaldo is not fit.

“I’ve been surprised how little has been made of his injury.

“Everyone has been saying ‘it’s fine, it’s just a minor thing, he’ll be fit for the final’.

“But Ronaldo coming off in a Clasico at half-time? Ronaldo never wants to come off.

“I think Ronaldo coming off (against Barcelona) when he’s playing well, he’s already scored and he’s playing against 10 men - I think he’s only coming off if it’s something pretty significant.

“Maybe I’m reading too much into this, but I think we are going to hear a lot more about this injury.

“I think there is a lot more to this that ‘yeah it’s just a knock, he’ll be fine’.”

Real Madrid play Sevilla in La Liga tonight.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footba...hampions-League

Hmm, I'm tending to agree that all is not well with Ronaldo.
Everybody has taken Zidane at his word that he "thinks" he'll be ok for The CL Final and that it wasn't a significant injury!
Nobody has yet come out and stated what level sprain Ronaldo has? If he has level 1, he'll make the final but won't have had much rehabilitation or trained...if it's a level 2 or 3 he's out and could miss the World Cup for Portugal.

Pickles #602750 09/05/18 05:26 PM
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
I'm sure we'll hear a lot more...the Spanish press downplaying it and our press showing him in an ankle brace on crutches!

Pickles #602751 09/05/18 05:40 PM
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
I'll leave this here... same ankle by the way!

Cristiano Ronaldo could miss first game since joining Real Madrid with ankle injury

Thu 1 Oct 2009 09.48 EDT
First published on Thu 1 Oct 2009 09.48 EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo could miss his first game since joining Real Madrid this weekend after injuring his ankle during yesterday's 3-0 Champions League win over Marseille. On Sunday Madrid are away to a Sevilla side that has won six in a row since losing their season opener, and the coach, Manuel Pellegrini, said he would give Ronaldo as long as possible before making a decision on the winger's fitness.

"We cannot discard [Ronaldo] for Sevilla," said Pellegrini. "We have to see how he progresses."

Madrid have won all of their seven domestic and European games so far this season, and Ronaldo has played an instrumental role, starting in every game. He scored a brace against Marseille to take his personal tally to nine goals in seven games.

But Sevilla, too, are an in-form side and the Andalusians have conceded only twice during their six-match winning run. They have put four goals past each of Athletic Bilbao and Rangers in their last two outings.

"If we continue along this line we have a chance of winning any game. We are having a very good season, working hard and playing very well," said the Sevilla winger Jesús Navas. "We only have to focus on working well [against Madrid] and we will have a chance of winning. It's going to be a tough game, the two teams are up both there and we have to go out with the same attitude as always.

"They have very good players, but we have to concentrate on ourselves."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/oct/01/cristiano-ronaldo-ankle-injury-marseille-sevilla

Cristiano Ronaldo Injury History
https://www.transfermarkt.com/cristiano-ronaldo/verletzungen/spieler/8198

Season 09/10
Ankle Injury from 12th Oct to 23 Nov - out for 42 days!

Pickles #602752 09/05/18 06:00 PM
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
A relevant update to the last time Ronaldo injured that same ankle. He tried to play in a World Cup Qualifier v Hungary on Saturday 10th Oct 09 but lasted less than half an hour before being substituted with a recurrence of the problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/oct/13/cristiano-ronaldo-injury-real-madrid

Taken from that article, the following...

"The injury is to the same ankle Ronaldo was operated on last year but the world's most expensive player has reassured fans it is in no way related. Ronaldo is almost certain to miss the league games against Valladolid, Sporting Gijón and Getafe as well as the Champions League home match against Milan and the Copa del Rey tie at Alcorcón. He is also likely to be absent from Madrid's visit to San Siro and the derby against Atlético Madrid".

Pickles #602753 09/05/18 06:18 PM
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Some more...

Cristiano Ronaldo has an EXTRA BONE in his ankle discovered back in 2009

Discovery was found in Portugal striker's ankle back in 2009
Condition only found in 10 per cent of the population

Cristiano Ronaldo has an irregular extra bone in his ankle - a condition that only affects 10 per cent of the population.

The discovery was made when the Real Madrid striker, who has been talismanic for the Champions League holders, received treatment on an injury five years ago.

Ronaldo went to doctors after suffering a knock while playing for Real against Marseille in 2009, as revealed in a new book CR7 - The Secrets of the Machine, written by Luis Miguel Pereira and serialised in the Sun.

A course of physio sorted the extra bone out without the need of an operation.

Fitness has always been a fascination for Ronaldo, who was caught using Sporting Lisbon's gym late out of night without permission.

A security report stated at the time: 'We hereby wish to inform you the athletes Cristiano Ronaldo and Jose Semedo used, without permission, the main fitness and bodybuilding gym where they were found at 11.30pm by the security guard.'

Youth coach Luis Martins said: 'I explained to Cristiano that he couldn't go further than what was prescribed to him because that would be harmful for his body and health.'

The news hardly comes as a surprise, given the 29-year-old has always been slightly different to the norm.

Ronaldo carried Carlo Ancelotti's side for large parts of last season and prised the Ballon d'Or off Barcelona's Lionel Messi.

The former Manchester United man scored more goals than anyone else has done before in Europe and sealed the trophy in Lisbon on Saturday night against city rivals Atletico.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footbal...BONE-ankle.html

Pickles #602754 09/05/18 06:29 PM
H
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
H
I'd prefer to beat them with their full first eleven, as I don't want the begrudgers claimimg we wouldn't have done it if Ronaldo was fit.

Pickles #602757 09/05/18 06:40 PM
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
History won't remember that part...I prefer The Final being played so the best team wins and not being decided on dodgy ref decisions for UEFA's favourite player.

M
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
M
Originally Posted By Hercules/AF 58
I'd prefer to beat them with their full first eleven, as I don't want the begrudgers claimimg we wouldn't have done it if Ronaldo was fit.

I wouldn't care if we faced a side that had all their players out due to a dodgy lasagna.

A win is a win.

Pickles #602794 10/05/18 07:29 AM
V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
Exactly.

Wouldn't surprise me if we got another injury on one of our 3 remaining midfielders so we'll have to start with a young prospect there instead.

Pickles #602812 10/05/18 10:40 AM
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
I hope he does play. I think Real would be a better side without him. Having watched 'Ronnie' this season he's nowhere near the player he was 5 seasons ago. He just 'goal hangs' as we used to say when I was a kid.

Yes, he has some flare but he's got no pace and is very much a ball to feet player.

TrueRed #602827 10/05/18 01:13 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By TrueRed
I hope he does play. I think Real would be a better side without him. Having watched 'Ronnie' this season he's nowhere near the player he was 5 seasons ago. He just 'goal hangs' as we used to say when I was a kid.

Yes, he has some flare but he's got no pace and is very much a ball to feet player.

He is still in the race to win the Ballon D'Or, saying that Real is worse with him is nonsense. If that was the case he will just be bench unless you are a better manager than Zidane, which I doubt.

Pickles #602829 10/05/18 01:39 PM
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
If Ronaldo tries to play in the CL Final it's likely he'll damage what chance he has to play for Portugal in The World Cup.
I think given the opportunity now in his career for success with Portugal or Real Madrid, he'd want to try and get a World Cup winners medal. He's seen it and done it with Real Madrid so sitting out The CL Final for the greater good of a longer rehabilitation for The World Cup you'd have to think would be his priority. If Real Madrid beat us he'll still get a winners medal.

Pickles #602831 10/05/18 01:52 PM
E
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
E
There’s also something called painkiller jabs.
I’ve done it and you won’t feel anything during the game

Pickles #602833 10/05/18 02:07 PM
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
We'll see...there's going to be a lot more debate on this...that I'm sure, until The CL Final team sheet comes out. Even then Ronaldo's ego on wanting to play, carrying a familiar injury can only be a good thing for us.

Pickles #602834 10/05/18 03:05 PM
O
Oli Offline
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
O
He will play....no doubt about that. Whatever we can say about him he is tough and he scores almost every game.

Pickles #602836 10/05/18 04:13 PM
H
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
H
Which of our right backs would be best against him, TAA or Clyne? Given how TAA did against Sane, I'd opt for him, despite being worried by his inexperience and tendency to let players get in behind him.

Last edited by Hercules/AF 58; 10/05/18 04:14 PM.
Pickles #602837 10/05/18 05:56 PM
D
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
D
Of course he'll play, he's a competitive professional.
I'd put TAA on him with Wijnaldum tracking back to help.

Pickles #602838 10/05/18 06:23 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I wanna see him stomping his feet and crying like a baby when we've finished with Madrid.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
Pickles #602865 10/05/18 10:39 PM
V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
laugh That's the spirit Lumba!

Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
Originally Posted By TiredReds
Originally Posted By TrueRed

He is still in the race to win the Ballon D'Or, saying that Real is worse with him is nonsense. If that was the case he will just be bench unless you are a better manager than Zidane, which I doubt.

It's just an opinion, Vish. You don't necessarily have to make a knob of yourself every time you disagree.

1) The powers that be wouldn't let Zidane bench him. Ronaldo's brand brings too much money into the club for him not to play if fit.

2) Real, and Ronaldo, are no were near the side they once used to be. Spurs give them a kicking twice this season and they'll end up 3rd in La Liga.

3) Ballon D'or means [oops] all. The team carries Ronaldo, not vice versa.

lumba #602901 11/05/18 02:59 PM
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
Originally Posted By lumba
I wanna see him stomping his feet and crying like a baby when we've finished with Madrid.

So long as it's not to win a dodgy pen decision.

Pickles #602928 12/05/18 04:21 AM
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Even if he is at 50% he will play. I'd be very surprised if they don't start him.

Back to Back World Champions baby!
Pickles #602961 12/05/18 02:42 PM
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Ronaldo's Right Ankle injury history -

2008 - Whilst at Utd he injured it in the April and carried on playing through the pain barrier for a further 3 months.
He had an op on it in July 08.
He misses Utd's first 5 games of 08/09 season recovering from his ankle op.

2009 - Signs for Real Madrid in June. Injures same right ankle in CL game v Marseille 30/09/09.
Lines up for WC Qualifier for Portugal v Hungary gets carried off less than 30 minutes in with a recurrence of the same right ankle injury. After tests done it is revealed he has an EXTRA Bone in his right ankle. Out for 42 days.

2010 - Injures same right ankle a contusion in Real Madrid season opener v Mallorca, is out for 10 days.

6th May 2018 - Injures same right ankle early in Barcelona game doesn't reappear for 2nd half. Missed the Sevilla game last Wednesday and likely to miss today's Celta Vigo game.

Transfrmarket.com only show his injury history at Real Madrid.
Currently registered with a "Malleolar Injury", same injury he was out 42 days with back in 09/10 season.

Pickles #603023 13/05/18 03:48 PM
V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
grin

That was a tad subtle, Pidg, are you saying that Ronnie is out? whistle

Pickles #603067 14/05/18 01:37 PM
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion