Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
swapshop
Unregistered
swapshop
Unregistered
S
What is evident from the Seville game tbe other night was the way Seville remained calm under pressure and waited for there's chance.....

The biggest thing I put it down to was Seville and the Europa League...they had Won it three times on tbd bounce and it's obviously been used according as a springboard to the point they at now. I know this because winning thd Europa league and donestic cuos had exactly the same effect on us when we won it back under 2001 with Houllier. This is what I don't understand about Klopps philosophy on domestic cups, surely he can see the benefits.of taking them serious and trying to win then because of the confidence it brings...how many players in our team besides Milner have actually been a trophy winner or knows what's required to be successful....

Anyway just my take on why Seville played the way they did the other night and why I think drawing them would be a bad draw, there cautious sit in style play is all wrong for us, we seen the way United snuffed us out by closing the spaces down and defending deep....Seville defend 10 yards furthers back again....no space at all for Salah, Mane or Firmino...

Last edited by swapshop; 15/03/18 03:09 PM.
S
swapshop
Unregistered
swapshop
Unregistered
S
I understand the points about money however we will never be at Chelsea,United or City's level so our prioritise are different from there's, yes they might need to qualify every season to pay for huge transfer fees and wages to balance the books but for clubs like ours who are not at that level we need trophies instead of money which you can get on our budget. What would you as a fan rather have...a champions league quarter final appearance or a Europa League win or FA Cup Win or League Cup win...it just doesn't make sense for any fan to chase the money when they don't receive a penny of it...trophies, glory and memories are surely more important to fans than appearance money in a competition we will never win Bar a miracle....

Last edited by swapshop; 15/03/18 04:27 PM.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By swapshop
I understand the points about money however we will never be at Chelsea,United or City's level so our prioritise are different from there's, yes they might need to qualify every season to pay for huge transfer fees and wages to balance the books but for clubs like ours who are not at that level we need trophies instead of money which you can get on our budget. What would you as a fan rather have...a champions league quarter final appearance or a Europa League win or FA Cup Win or League Cup win...it just doesn't make sense for any fan to chase the money when they don't receive a penny of it...trophies, glory and memories are surely more important to fans than appearance money in a competition we will never win Bar a miracle....

Chelsea is behind us, United have 5 points lead but they are both out of CL while we are still in, so how do you define level?

R
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
R
Originally Posted By Mr Bojangles
Salah isn't going anywhere. He's played 35 games and still get referred to as a Chelsea reject by some people. He won't go to Madrid while they have Ronaldo and bale. He won't play second fiddle to them and they can barely keep isco asensio Vazquez happy.

We will spend a lot this year. But so will city. Utd. Chelsea and arsenal who may both have new managers.

Spurs will stay the same. They're just Spurs.

And then there's the iminent threat of fat sam and bitters.....

I hope we do spend a lot, we've just all heard it several summers in a row and we only spend big when we sell.

The problem with the inflated fees is it makes it even more difficult for clubs to keep in touch with teams like City who spend freely. If we keep spending £30-40m a season, the gap will widen so my point was if we get chance to cash in big one player and are looking at £200m or so to spend, Klopp would prefer that than keeping Salah and spending £50m.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic. £100m summer budget should do it but if Klopp wants him, most of it could go on Allison.

Sorry for going completely off thread topic.

S
swapshop
Unregistered
swapshop
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted By theanfieldpigeon
in terms of league standings we ARE on their level. Maybe not City's but no one is on citys level at the minute, and wont be short of winning the lottery by getting oil owners. "It doesnt make any sense for a fan to chase the money" The fans are not the ones chasing the money, the club are...because the club is a business. Just like every other club in or around the same league positions are business's and doing the same thing, they're prioritising that which yields the most reward and facilitates future investment.
yes but fans are only chasing the champions league because of the money it pulls in, Benfica, Ajax and Celtic appear in it every season but for what? What are the fans of those clubs actualy getting out of it apart from maybe a chance to see Messi, Ronald or Neymar play at their home stadium. For fans we go to the match or maybe support the club in the hope of seeing them maybe win a trophy, from the smallest club to the biggest this is the true essence of what football is, it's to try and win a trophy and when you look at our Club we don't do that, that's why I no longer understand what Liverpool Football exists for anymore...

S
swapshop
Unregistered
swapshop
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted By TiredReds
Originally Posted By swapshop

Chelsea is behind us, United have 5 points lead but they are both out of CL while we are still in, so how do you define level?
I define a level as in ambition and what do they exist for...if you look at us...a good season for us is if er qualify for the champions league by finishing in the top four, we get that it's job done and our owners, manager and players will pat themselves on the back...our fans do to....now look at City, Chelsea and United, if they don't win the League or Champions League it automatically goes down as a bad season even if they finished second and won the domestic cups. Look at United last season, they won the League Cup, and Europa League yet they got away with that only because it was jose's first season. If you look at next season United, City and Chelsea will All be expected to win the League or champions leagur and wil get slaughtered if they don't, those Clubs can all win it next year again after their summer spending while ourselves, Spurs and Arsenal might finish ahead of one of those clubs if we play outstanding, spend well in the summer with new signings hitting the ground running and most importantly....if one of the big three have a bad season...like Chelsea are doing this season....this is what I mean by levels, those Three clubs are light years ahead of the rest of us but the very odd season or so we can finish ahead of maybe one or two...

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
We bid for Keita & VvD last summer, so we must have had the money for those deals at that time, if their clubs would have agreed, we would have signed them in the summer.

Keita £68 million bid:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/201...le-jurgen-klopp

We all know we were trying to get VvD as we had to put out a press release apologising for approaching him and trying to sign him.

S
swapshop
Unregistered
swapshop
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
We bid for Keita & VvD last summer, so we must have had the money for those deals at that time, if their clubs would have agreed, we would have signed them in the summer.

Keita £68 million bid:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/201...le-jurgen-klopp

We all know we were trying to get VvD as we had to put out a press release apologising for approaching him and trying to sign him.

think the combined fee for both players in the summer would probably been around 100m and with the usual player sales and as a club our size we could probably afford that however after budled farsical attempt for VVD the price rocketed to 75m which meant the only way we could afford that was to sell our best player. I think this proves we are firmly in the bracket behind the big three and alongside Spurs and Arsenal but way behind the big boys who could easily shell that out and keep their best players...

S
swapshop
Unregistered
swapshop
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted By sixtiesred
Originally Posted By Mr Bojangles
Salah isn't going anywhere. He's played 35 games and still get referred to as a Chelsea reject by some people. He won't go to Madrid while they have Ronaldo and bale. He won't play second fiddle to them and they can barely keep isco asensio Vazquez happy.

We will spend a lot this year. But so will city. Utd. Chelsea and arsenal who may both have new managers.

Spurs will stay the same. They're just Spurs.

And then there's the iminent threat of fat sam and bitters.....

There is talk bale and Ronaldo will be gone next season bale is even linked to us !
Ronaldo will have to be gone in order to make room for the possible arrival of Neymar if he doesn't move to United....imagine Neymar and Ronald...talk about battle of the egos...no chance that would work...

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By theanfieldpigeon
in terms of league standings we ARE on their level. Maybe not City's but no one is on citys level at the minute, and wont be short of winning the lottery by getting oil owners. "It doesnt make any sense for a fan to chase the money" The fans are not the ones chasing the money, the club are...because the club is a business. Just like every other club in or around the same league positions are business's and doing the same thing, they're prioritising that which yields the most reward and facilitates future investment.

Current league standings is not really the measure though us it ?

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion