Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Under 23 Player
OP Offline
Under 23 Player
What would you do to improve football transfers in the UK? How would you protect a team with clauses in the contract? How should players be protected? Should this be club-by-club or should this come from a higher body?

Personally, I'd expect something from the FA akin to the Spanish system. I think there should be a minimum fee release clause in the contract, which would act as protection for the club in the event of a player wanting to leave. You could argue that clubs at the lower end might suffer if the release clause is attainable by bigger clubs for an underestimated player or one who negotiated lower than the club might have liked, but I think that's rarely the case.

It's one of those situations where by setting a fee, other clubs are aware of the value, and it means players always know there is a "get-out" in every situation, and wouldn't feel as obliged to act out to get the move.

In addition, I think the player should be protected as well. Should he feature less than a portion of the clubs games, he could see a reduction in his buyout to allow him to move for more game-time. This would ensure clubs couldn't get away with signing lots of players that don't contribute, and being unhappy but unable to force a move.

You could also pass this over to loan players. If there was a set "age of maturity," then loan players under 22 would not have a reduced contract minimum release clause unless agreed between club and player, at 22, those players would then become reduced in fee to ensure that all players in the game of their age are ensured of an opportunity to find a club that can provide regular game-time.

I'd also enforce the contractual obligation for players to be readily available and to do their contracted job. It should be obvious given the amount of players that refuse to train, return or make themselves available to play, but... there should be an exponentially increasing deterrant. by this i mean, 1 no-show for training or game results in a couple of days fine. 2 - 1 week, 3 - 2 weeks etc. Maybe that's highly exaggerated, but the FA should use their strength to ensure this can be enforced.

Obviously this is all hypothetical, just wondering, given the uncertainty over our dealings with Barca for Coutinho, Southampton for VVD and RB Leipzig for Keita, whether it is worth debating it while its on our minds.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By jjmelling/Stato
What would you do to improve football transfers in the UK? How would you protect a team with clauses in the contract? How should players be protected? Should this be club-by-club or should this come from a higher body?

Personally, I'd expect something from the FA akin to the Spanish system. I think there should be a minimum fee release clause in the contract, which would act as protection for the club in the event of a player wanting to leave. You could argue that clubs at the lower end might suffer if the release clause is attainable by bigger clubs for an underestimated player or one who negotiated lower than the club might have liked, but I think that's rarely the case.

It's one of those situations where by setting a fee, other clubs are aware of the value, and it means players always know there is a "get-out" in every situation, and wouldn't feel as obliged to act out to get the move.

In addition, I think the player should be protected as well. Should he feature less than a portion of the clubs games, he could see a reduction in his buyout to allow him to move for more game-time. This would ensure clubs couldn't get away with signing lots of players that don't contribute, and being unhappy but unable to force a move.

You could also pass this over to loan players. If there was a set "age of maturity," then loan players under 22 would not have a reduced contract minimum release clause unless agreed between club and player, at 22, those players would then become reduced in fee to ensure that all players in the game of their age are ensured of an opportunity to find a club that can provide regular game-time.

I'd also enforce the contractual obligation for players to be readily available and to do their contracted job. It should be obvious given the amount of players that refuse to train, return or make themselves available to play, but... there should be an exponentially increasing deterrant. by this i mean, 1 no-show for training or game results in a couple of days fine. 2 - 1 week, 3 - 2 weeks etc. Maybe that's highly exaggerated, but the FA should use their strength to ensure this can be enforced.

Obviously this is all hypothetical, just wondering, given the uncertainty over our dealings with Barca for Coutinho, Southampton for VVD and RB Leipzig for Keita, whether it is worth debating it while its on our minds.

I think the release fee should be mandatory but with also a time limit like 2 weeks before the start of the season. There should also be a limit on the number of players a club can loan. A player going on strike should be fined twice his wages and players who were selected less than 50% when fit and available should have their release fee halved. It's quite easy to implement as I think a majority would agree except maybe footballers

Last edited by TiredReds; 20/08/17 12:53 PM.
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By TiredReds
Originally Posted By jjmelling/Stato

I think the release fee should be mandatory but with also a time limit like 2 weeks before the start of the season. There should also be a limit on the number of players a club can loan. A player going on strike should be fined twice his wages and players who were selected less than 50% when fit and available should have their release fee halved. It's quite easy to implement as I think a majority would agree except maybe footballers

Yeah, the PFA have been very quiet on all these players like VvD/Costa/Sanchez/Coutinho behaviour, they are the first on their high horse when a club comments/sanctions on a player.

I think setting a mandatory release clause between the club & player when they sign makes sense, means a player ultimately has control over their career/future, without having to resort to strikes etc.

I would also be tempted to extend the transfer window from July to end of January, this removes the panic negotiations as the Window ends, so teams can re-inforce if they have a few bad injuries etc, but then there is stability for the back end of the season.

C
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
C
First and foremost the transfer window should close before the season starts, that's for both incomings and outgoings. It's ridiculous that a club can start a season and still lose players with no time to replace them without paying well over the odds!

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By Chris2402
First and foremost the transfer window should close before the season starts, that's for both incomings and outgoings. It's ridiculous that a club can start a season and still lose players with no time to replace them without paying well over the odds!

That would have to happen globally in all leagues, if it was just PL we'd have players leaving all the time as the foreign window is still open?

C
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
C
Originally Posted By ecnirp98

That would have to happen globally in all leagues, if it was just PL we'd have players leaving all the time as the foreign window is still open?

No, as I said in my post the window would close for both player purchases and sales. Squads should be ready for the opening day of the season and not be disrupted when the season is under way.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E

No, as I said in my post the window would close for both player purchases and sales. Squads should be ready for the opening day of the season and not be disrupted when the season is under way.

Not sure if you can block overseas sales like that?

C
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
C

Why not? The FA need to protect the English game.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
[quote=Chris2402][quote=ecnirp98][quote=Chris2402]

As far as I know, under Fifa rules leagues with windows still open can sign from other leagues that are closed, like when Chinese clubs signed players from Europe after the European leagues closed, wasn't Rooney rumoured to be leaving in February to China as their league Window was still open.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/prem...059/story.shtml

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chinese-super-league-transfer-windows-9726853

C
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
C
[quote=Chris2402][quote=ecnirp98][quote=Chris2402]

As far as I know, under Fifa rules leagues with windows still open can sign from other leagues that are closed, like when Chinese clubs signed players from Europe after the European leagues closed, wasn't Rooney rumoured to be leaving in February to China as their league Window was still open.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/prem...059/story.shtml

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chinese-super-league-transfer-windows-9726853

FIFA and UEFA have never done anything for the benefit of English clubs, the FA should do what's best for our clubs and stopping players leaving or coming in once the season has started would be a good start, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion