Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Stanley Park #568296 03/07/17 05:45 PM
E
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
I happen to think its a card we have to keep up our sleeve, gonna be some tough deals done and we are a small country , if the EU is tempted to sacrifice our needs then we have to keep all options open. Not happy about it tho, and not going to thank the UK for putting us in this situation. I sincerely doubt we will play that card( we are EU's biggest supporters) but its not a bad hand to let the EU know we have.

Stanley Park #568298 03/07/17 05:50 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
If you are relying on opinion polls you might be very disappointed opinions change and change very rapidly in today's world. As for the other countries leaving the EU and wanting referendums that's still very much on the table. As for Vish comment that only 8% of the EU,s exports are to the EU. I would make 2 points firstly 8% is a big number if your economy fell 8% overnight we would know about it in a big way. Second that 8% is overall country by country it changes Germany for example being effectively the financer of the EU being the only economy of substance is very reliant on UK markets.

Germany is definitely not going to crumble if there are tariffs to get in the UK market, in fact they are in a much better position to export to the rest of the world compared to UK, China being an example which is becoming the biggest importer of German vehicles. UK on the other hand will have to significantly develop their industrial base to compete on the world market because your main focus has been financial services for a long time. As an example all your cars manufacturing big names have been taken over by foreigners, Mini by BMW, Jaguar Land rover by Tata, Rolls Royce by Volswagen, Mayback by Mercedes etc. When you lose your passporting rights, then you'll feel the pain, though I don't think your government is stupid enough to let that happen, thus the softer approach suddenly

Last edited by RedsforChampions; 03/07/17 05:52 PM.
Stanley Park #568300 03/07/17 06:00 PM
S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
If you are relying on opinion polls you might be very disappointed opinions change and change very rapidly in today's world. As for the other countries leaving the EU and wanting referendums that's still very much on the table. As for Vish comment that only 8% of the EU,s exports are to the EU. I would make 2 points firstly 8% is a big number if your economy fell 8% overnight we would know about it in a big way. Second that 8% is overall country by country it changes Germany for example being effectively the financer of the EU being the only economy of substance is very reliant on UK markets.

It is going to be a terrible shock for you when you realise the world doesn't revolve around Britain.

Only Britain would think that it can hold 27 other countries to ransom.

Last edited by Shaggydog; 03/07/17 06:01 PM.
EMP #568301 03/07/17 06:03 PM
S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
Originally Posted By EMP
I happen to think its a card we have to keep up our sleeve, gonna be some tough deals done and we are a small country , if the EU is tempted to sacrifice our needs then we have to keep all options open. Not happy about it tho, and not going to thank the UK for putting us in this situation. I sincerely doubt we will play that card( we are EU's biggest supporters) but its not a bad hand to let the EU know we have.

Jaysus Emp, i would much rather be at the mercy of the EU than the UK

EnergisedReds #568303 03/07/17 06:06 PM
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By RedsforChampions

Germany is definitely not going to crumble if there are tariffs to get in the UK market, in fact they are in a much better position to export to the rest of the world compared to UK, China being an example which is becoming the biggest importer of German vehicles. UK on the other hand will have to significantly develop their industrial base to compete on the world market because your main focus has been financial services for a long time. As an example all your cars manufacturing big names have been taken over by foreigners, Mini by BMW, Jaguar Land rover by Tata, Rolls Royce by Volswagen, Mayback by Mercedes etc. When you lose your passporting rights, then you'll feel the pain, though I don't think your government is stupid enough to let that happen, thus the softer approach suddenly

I never said they would crumble but I don't think they want to harm their economy for the sole purpose of spite.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Shaggydog #568304 03/07/17 06:08 PM
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Shaggydog

It is going to be a terrible shock for you when you realise the world doesn't revolve around Britain.

Only Britain would think that it can hold 27 other countries to ransom.

We are not holding anyone to ransom simply seeking a mutually beneficial deal we are leaving the EU both sides have to work together something you guys would do well to heed

Shaggydog #568305 03/07/17 06:09 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Well the debate has started which is positive news. Despite what the nationalists would have you think Britain and Ireland culturally have a very close relationship thousands of British people live in Ireland and quite possibly more Irish people or immediate descendants live in Britain than Ireland itself. You don't need a passport to travel between the countries (although some airlines demand identification for security reasons) trade between the countries is inextricably linked. Once Britain leaves the EU it makes a lot of economic and cultural sense for Ireland to loosen its ties with the EU and strengthen them with its very close friend and neighbour. As for the polls, polls change (a few years ago there was a minority in Britain to leave the EU things change very fast) and if you recall a few years ago the Irish voted against the Lisbon treaty in national referendum and were then bullied by the EU into voting again until they got the right result. This won't be forgotten. It's early days but this is clearly something that's not going away. In addition there are other EU countries wanting exit referenda again this is not going away. But for Ireland it's a no brainer because of the close ties as above and I think it will happen for sure

Nope, ain't going to happen. Look at the mayhem it has caused in the UK and the negotiations have only started. Anyone who thinks the EU is going to allow Britain a better deal after the negotiations than the had before they left the EU is living in cloud cuckoo land.

The general consensus in Ireland is that Britain has made a huge mistake and will pay dearly for it.

I'm living in hope that we'll be able to get a deal that leaves us about as good as we are financially but I can't see it. It was a mistake to leave in my opinion but we have to get on with it now and hope.

You're right though. Who the hell would vote to leave after seeing what's happened here? It might happen if we come out of it doing we'll be that looks a big if at the moment.

Shaggydog #568306 03/07/17 06:09 PM
E
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EMP

Jaysus Emp, i would much rather be at the mercy of the EU than the UK

I hear you buddy but we can't forget uk is our majority economic importer. Plus the border issue is a complete nightmare..there cannot be a border and how do u resolve that issue? its just a complete mess

Stanley Park #568307 03/07/17 06:10 PM
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Re our EU supporters on here can you give me a coherent plan for how you would solve the structural problems of the euro ? Unless that is solved the EU cannot continue

So how would you do it ?

Stanley Park #568308 03/07/17 06:17 PM
S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
Re our EU supporters on here can you give me a coherent plan for how you would solve the structural problems of the euro ? Unless that is solved the EU cannot continue

So how would you do it ?

Well running away is not a solution.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion