Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Under 23 Player
OP Offline
Under 23 Player
W
If the worst happens and we finish 5th, instead of the top 4 would that be a bad season with all things considered.

Lets look at the bare facts.

1) We had a positive net spend in the summer.
2) We didn't sort out the problem areas, goalkeeper, leftback, defensive midfield, central defence, width, a top class striker.
3) We failed to improve our team in January.
4) We have had a world class striker on the sidelines basically all season.
5) Out of all of the top 8 teams we have by far the weakest squad, our first 11 can compete but when players are taken out of that 11 we look very very weak.

So consider all of the above and it was absurb that we were in 2nd place behind Chelsea, we are only in the top 4 due to the incompetence of Arsenal this season.

Our level is fairly similar to Man Utd, except they spend big on world class players.

If we had signed Ibramovic last summer, broke our wage structure to sign him, I have no doubts we would be 2nd or have won the Prem.

If I had to compare ourselves to Prem teams from the past I would say that we are currently Aston Villa under Martin O'Neil, decent enough players, consistedly finishing in the top 6.

Until the yanks didn't support O'Neil.

M
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
M
5th at the start of the season would have been expected.

5th at this point of the season would be a catastrophe. There is no way arsenal Man Utd and Man city will be this poor next season. We however probably will be.

We have spent 2 weeks out of the top 4 and have had so many chances to confirm it. Swansea palace Bournemouth even Southampton at home last week.

It would be unacceptable to finish 5th. I'm starting to think we have a manager that can get us to the finish line but can't get us to cross it. 2 finals. 2 losses. We have another "final" today. Let's see how we line up.

W
Under 23 Player
OP Offline
Under 23 Player
W
I agree 5th would have been expected at the start, we were only in the top 4, due to the Manchester clubs and Arsenal being pants most of the season.

The problem we have is our squad is far too small.

We have what is in essence a 11 man squad, I simply don't trust any of our other squad members to make meaningful impacts when called upon. That is backed up by having Moreno on the bench.

The problem with a 11 man squad is by January (as we saw) they are basically knackered playing a high intensity Klopp style and we drop out of contention.

I don't think we have the stamina now, they are basically running on empty.

The remedy is that we need 7 top class additions (we don't sign world class) in the summer, with no players leaving.

Will FSG commit to that?

I doubt it, it will be 1 in, 1 out, which will lead to Groundhog day again next season.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Welsh_Wizard
If the worst happens and we finish 5th, instead of the top 4 would that be a bad season with all things considered.

Lets look at the bare facts.

1) We had a positive net spend in the summer.
2) We didn't sort out the problem areas, goalkeeper, leftback, defensive midfield, central defence, width, a top class striker.
3) We failed to improve our team in January.
4) We have had a world class striker on the sidelines basically all season.
5) Out of all of the top 8 teams we have by far the weakest squad, our first 11 can compete but when players are taken out of that 11 we look very very weak.

So consider all of the above and it was absurb that we were in 2nd place behind Chelsea, we are only in the top 4 due to the incompetence of Arsenal this season.

Our level is fairly similar to Man Utd, except they spend big on world class players.

If we had signed Ibramovic last summer, broke our wage structure to sign him, I have no doubts we would be 2nd or have won the Prem.

If I had to compare ourselves to Prem teams from the past I would say that we are currently Aston Villa under Martin O'Neil, decent enough players, consistedly finishing in the top 6.

Until the yanks didn't support O'Neil.

Looking at our squad I think a lot of us believed 5th and hoped for more. My conclusion is therefore the expectation from those running the club was 5th with hope for a CL. Not reinforcing the team keeping money in the chest make me feel that CL was not a firm target given to Klopp so I don't really bother, why should I?

Last edited by RedsforChampions; 14/05/17 12:40 PM.
P
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
P
5th would be shambolic from where we were in December. Up to December excellent after that huge mistakes. No forward thinking by either Klopp or FSG. So this is where we are now battling to stay in top 4. When it could have been different. Sickens my [oops] hole

Last edited by paul66; 14/05/17 01:57 PM.
K
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
K
Absolutely not. If you look at the club statements, including the manager's own promises and if you have a look at some of the pre-season polls, we were expected to finish in the top-4 or win a domestic trophy at the very least. It's not good enough that we are continuously content with mediocrity, especially coming from a club of our stature. Just about hanging on the the top-4 is simply not good enough, especially if we are without a trophy, we have had less games than are opposition as they've had to play Europe, so we've had more time to prepare and rest for our premier league games.

Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
I'd be delighted with 5th place as I don't think that being in the CL would be good for us at the moment. I am far more interested in us winning challenging for the EPL than winning the CL, and the extra games/travel would be detrimental to that.

I know what the counter argument is..."...but being in the CL will attract better players". Well, it won't because FSG aren't the type to splash out on the fees/salaries for these type of players anyway.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Darcus
I'd be delighted with 5th place as I don't think that being in the CL would be good for us at the moment. I am far more interested in us winning challenging for the EPL than winning the CL, and the extra games/travel would be detrimental to that.

I know what the counter argument is..."...but being in the CL will attract better players". Well, it won't because FSG aren't the type to splash out on the fees/salaries for these type of players anyway.

Well we'll end up playing more games in the EL than if we were in CL, we'd better be 8th then, not 5th

H
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
H
Originally Posted By klopp4kop
Absolutely not. If you look at the club statements, including the manager's own promises and if you have a look at some of the pre-season polls, we were expected to finish in the top-4 or win a domestic trophy at the very least. It's not good enough that we are continuously content with mediocrity, especially coming from a club of our stature. Just about hanging on the the top-4 is simply not good enough, especially if we are without a trophy, we have had less games than are opposition as they've had to play Europe, so we've had more time to prepare and rest for our premier league games.

Agreed, the lack of ambition displayed by some fans is frankly amazing. A club like LFC should not only be in the top 4 every season but should also be challenging for the title season on season. That we didn't challenge this season is down to a failure of management with respect to strengthening in January along with a failure by Klopp to learn the strength of competition in the PL, along with a distinct lack of tactical variation to deal with the variety of playing styles that make up the PL. Stumbling over the line into 4th, if we can even do that is little consolation as far as I'm concerned.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
There's no way I will be happy with 5th place Sunday night I can tell you that for nothing

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
There's no way I will be happy with 5th place Sunday night I can tell you that for nothing

Why?

Do you normally charge for these insights? whistle

1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Me?
I'm past caring one way or t'other tbh

H
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
H
Originally Posted By Growler
Me?

You might think you are, me ould Growls, but by virtue of your being here I can Devine that deep, deep down you're not past caring atall, atall. There now I've sorted that little misapprehension out for ya...

K
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
K
Originally Posted By Darcus

Let's give up all together then. This team is not strong enough to win the title and since FSG aren't the type to splash out on player fees and wages , there's obviously no way we're going to sign players to win the league. So [oops] it, let's give up

1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Originally Posted By Hercules/AF 58
Originally Posted By Growler
Me?

You might think you are, me ould Growls, but by virtue of your being here I can Devine that deep, deep down you're not past caring atall, atall. There now I've sorted that little misapprehension out for ya...

Yea, ok oh wise one.
yer problee right.

If we don't secure 4th, the bladder bank will no doubt be 'earin' from me. mad

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion