Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
That's more like the positivity I want!

grin

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Redneckscouser
So the season is almost over and the hustle and bustle of recruiting the right players will be upon us. What I want to know is how we approach it?

A) Do we get involved in messy back and forth long winded tactics to get players in the hopes we save FSG some bucks.

B) Or is this NOW the time we throw caution to the wind and get the players Klopp wants no matter the price.

For me it should be "B"... all be it that we don't feck up a CL spot!

We must get our dealings done quickly so they have some time in preseason to get acquainted with one another. However I just don't know about FSG and if this huge transfer kitty (for them) is a guise to appease us and that ultimately we will fail to recruit our main targets because they are not willing to pay the transfer fees and salaries. We've been here before so many times with FSG that I have so little faith in them.

What are your thoughts?

B is what we did last summer isn't it?

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By TheMightyLFC
Do we really need too many purchases?

The current team is doing quite well sitting in 3rd spot... and that's with Hendo and Lallana out for a while. Getting those two and Mane back will be like 3 new signings.

We have Ings to come back from injury and could count as a replacement for Sturridge.

Lucas has been a revelation these last few months and wants to stay. (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footb...w-a7687811.html). It would be cheaper to give him a new contract rather than find an equally good servant.

Migs has stepped up a notch or two and we know Klopp wants to keep Karius. So no vacancies in this department.

Milner is doing fine at left back. We could keep Sakho too.

So all in all... I don't see any places available for newcomers. Just saying... whistle

Agree

K
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
K
We are likely to be playing in the champions league next season, which means more games and congested fixtures. We have struggled with injuries and other absences which have hindered our progression, which led to the blip we had Jan-Feb. We can say that we have a great squad because we sit in a comfortable position, but that is simply not true. We don't have enough quality or match winners in the team to be challenging for major trophies. Our defence is woeful, our midfield is bipolar and we have two unreliable goalkeepers. Let's use this opportunity of being a champions league team to make major signings and show a real statement of intent !

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By RedsforChampions
[/quote]

Nope...we bought 2 players at a going rate price and then had a fire sale, leaving our depth non existant. Hence why our challenge for the league quickly evaporated in November and our removal from all cup competitions soon followed behind, leaving us fighting to the bitter death to try and achieve what once was a comfortable CL place!

C
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
C

Nope...we bought 2 players at a going rate price and then had a fire sale, leaving our depth non existant. Hence why our challenge for the league quickly evaporated in November and our removal from all cup competitions soon followed behind, leaving us fighting to the bitter death to try and achieve what once was a comfortable CL place!

[/quote]

There are 6 Champions League quality teams and managers in the Premiership now, it's never been more difficult to finish in the top 4 so I'm struggling to see how achieving a Champions League place should be comfortable?

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By sixtiesred
I'd rather pay 5 mil more and get the player he wants than 5 mil less and the player is not exactly what he wanted ?

I agree, hopefully FSG will back him to get the players he wants, we need his first choices.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

[/quote]

We bought players that Klopp wanted quite early in the transfer window and a lot here complained that we paid too much for Mane and especially Wijnaldum. Matip came on a free. Are you saying we should have offered more money to get them? Also, I didn't notice any fire sales, we waited the last moment to sell Benteke at an acceptable price.

Last edited by RedsforChampions; 19/04/17 04:41 AM.
V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
These are our departures from last summer (including outgoing loanees):

Christian Benteke
Jordon Ibe
Joe Allen
Martin Skrtel
Tiago Ilori
Luis Alberto
Brad Smith
Mamadou Sakho
João Teixeira
Kolo Touré
Mario Balotelli
Andre Wisdom
Jon Flanagan
Ádám Bogdán
Danny Ward
Lazar Markovic
Samed Yesil

If you're not counting that as a fire sale, then I fail to see what a fire sale is.

That most of them are cráp is another thing, but we didn't replace them, and the squad is as you know thread bare ever since they left. We also didn't get any new recruits into the squad in January, which hasn't helped matters either.

T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
Isn't a fire sale when you sell your assets at discount prices to achieve a quick sale? So even though the list is long, I don't think we can call it a fire sale.

I'd say they 'trimmed' the squad... or perhaps gave it a good old fashioned short back and sides. But that was because we were out of Europe and it was deemed that we didn't need such a big squad.

I suspect they will now allow it grow back a little but in a well managed way. Hopefully we'll be going to Vidal Sassoon for the new style instead of the cheapo local.

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion