1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
If we are to challenge at the top we need to do both sadly we are doing neither

Well they have done both so there you go.

Really ? So you are really pleased with progress I presume

The problem is you now have to spend heavily just to 'stay put' as teams like Man City, Man Utd & Chelsea can spend huge amounts on transfers and wages we cannot afford. So I am not happy we are struggling to make big progress, but I understand why, as it is, we are pretty much matching these teams (apart from Chelsea) with spending allot less money.

Last edited by ecnirp98; 26/03/17 09:05 PM.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
If we are to challenge at the top we need to do both sadly we are doing neither

Well they have done both so there you go.

Really ? So you are really pleased with progress I presume

The problem is you now have to spend heavily just to 'stay put' as teams like Man City, Man Utd & Chelsea can spend huge amounts on transfers and wages we cannot afford. So I am not happy we are struggling to make big progress, but I understand why, as it is, we are pretty much matching these teams (apart from Chelsea) with spending allot less money.

What ecnirp said. We all want to get back to the top and I don't think anyone thinks that we will ultimately with FSG in charge. But some of us live in the reality of what it is and some can't get past whatever they have against them to give any kind of credit.

When we get our sugar daddy (if we ever do) I'll be as happy as the next man. But that looks a long, long, long way off so we have to just get on with what we've got and enjoy what we can when we can. If we can't do that then we might as well give up watching football.

Last edited by wilkij1975; 26/03/17 09:28 PM.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I don't think your analysis is wrong what I can't understand is why you are happy about it or relaxed about it. Your logic seems to be yes we are in the second or third lane but that's the way it is and we have to get on with it. That may be reality under FSG but I find it difficult to accept that culture. I was brought up with the shankly era when Liverpool bowed to no one and aimed for the very top. The prime reason the club grew to be one of the top clubs in Europe and the reason for the attraction today for fans across the globe. Turning our back on high ambition is a grave mistake I fear.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I don't think your analysis is wrong what I can't understand is why you are happy about it or relaxed about it. Your logic seems to be yes we are in the second or third lane but that's the way it is and we have to get on with it. That may be reality under FSG but I find it difficult to accept that culture. I was brought up with the shankly era when Liverpool bowed to no one and aimed for the very top. The prime reason the club grew to be one of the top clubs in Europe and the reason for the attraction today for fans across the globe. Turning our back on high ambition is a grave mistake I fear.

I'm just dealing with the reality of the situation. Getting agro and upset about it won't change a thing as there's very little I can do. I've just learned to deal with the things I can control in life and not stress about those that I can't, this being one of them. That's not to say that I'm happy about it or turning my back on ambition, just dealing with it differently.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

I'm just dealing with the reality of the situation. Getting agro and upset about it won't change a thing as there's very little I can do. I've just learned to deal with the things I can control in life and not stress about those that I can't, this being one of them. That's not to say that I'm happy about it or turning my back on ambition, just dealing with it differently.

To be honest I don't get disappointed anymore I could not care less if Liverpool FC played on the school playing field. But the idea of this forum is you express opinions on Liverpool FC related subjects and just giving mine

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
No one is saying you can't have and express an opinion. Like I've said, I don't think anyone would've been disappointed with a new stadium. I certainly wouldn't have been.

E
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
E

I don't accept that's the way it is, with good management and a few good/lucky buys that come off, you can challenge, we challenged 3 years ago, we got our hands on a truly world class player in Suarez (we didn't know that when we bought him), everyone else raised their game and chipped in, we nearly won the title, there's no reason we cannot do that again, I am not saying we cannot buy players, the likes of Mane is not second or third lane, some more buys like that are achievable, Klopp is also improving players, Can and Wijnaldum look much better now.

I will be expecting us to be challenging for the league next year, that's how it should be, but we have got stiff competiton with more resources, much harder than I think we have every been up against, but City and Utd have proved, with more resources, if you don't spend it well, means nothing.

And to get back to the original point I raised, we can do all that while at Anfield with 54,000 fans, we don't need to be in debt for £300-500 million for a new stadium that holds 60,000 fans.

Everyone is entitled to their views, would be a very boring forum if we all agreed !

Last edited by ecnirp98; 27/03/17 08:44 PM.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I think also we could challenge for the title next year there is always hope and when you don't have that then it's time to pack in. A one off challenge is always possible. But long term and sustained challenge over many years I am struggling to see without infrastructure and funding on a level with the other contenders.

E
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
E
I think also we could challenge for the title next year there is always hope and when you don't have that then it's time to pack in. A one off challenge is always possible. But long term and sustained challenge over many years I am struggling to see without infrastructure and funding on a level with the other contenders.

Yep, to be consistently challenging you need a good level of funding, but as long as we are in the same ball park, we can compete, FSG have given money, sometimes it has been badly spent, hopefully Klopp will fix that, so far I have been impressed with his signings and what he has got out of the existing players.

We will learn allot this summer about FSG's intent, everyone knows we need 4-5 TCP to raise the level and strengthen the squad, so I see that as spending around £100-150million, if we do that I will be happy. If Man City or Utd go out and splash £250milion each, we cannot control that, but if they buy 2 more Pogba's, that's fine by me.

Last edited by ecnirp98; 27/03/17 09:02 PM.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98

Yep, to be consistently challenging you need a good level of funding, but as long as we are in the same ball park, we can compete, FSG have given money, sometimes it has been badly spent, hopefully Klopp will fix that, so far I have been impressed with his signings and what he has got out of the existing players.

We will learn allot this summer about FSG's intent, everyone knows we need 4-5 TCP to raise the level and strengthen the squad, so I see that as spending around £100-150million, if we do that I will be happy. If Man City or Utd go out and splash £250milion each, we cannot control that, but if they buy 2 more Pogba's, that's fine by me.

Do you believe well spend anywhere close to 150m in summer, I don't.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion