Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
Originally Posted By RedsforChampions
Again you are confusing short term performances on the field with long term future. Also arsenals lack of winning things in latter years follows our path too this is because more clubs are at the top it was just arsenal and Man united in that era. That's a big threat to Liverpool FC Because of the extra competition more clubs developing we need to keep up otherwise long term we will be out of the long term mix. Something you can already see happening now. No doubt some will think if we beat Everton next week in our old statdium then that means you don't need to modernise but you need to think strategically long term as a fan.

Gate revenue share keeps on losing importance every season with TV rights and commercial shares growing, so not sure which long term you are talking about

So why are every team other than Liverpool investing in a decent ground ? Do you know something Spurs don't ? I must have told you a thousand times it's nothing to do with gate receipts it's about the brand a stadium is part of the package.

So Stamford Bridge is a big brand yea? Anfield and specially the Kop is one of the biggest brands in football, a new stadium will take decades to get there if ever they do. Spurs is in London and as you said it yourself, their fans can pay higher tickets + they have a small stadium currently + they can sell their current stadium as an urban development at a high price, so it makes better economic sense.

#560504 26/03/17 04:10 AM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By sixtiesred
Liverpool is loosing its brand our brand was huge atmosphere constant singing and everyone holding scarves up at ynwa now for the usual suspects that have a go at me when I mention scarfs etc! like it or not that was what we were famous for ! Hence the oppos singing where's your famous atmosphere and due to ppl not continuing the tradition it's being lost big time !

The ground didn't make the brand the people did! The ones who came sang and yes held there scarfs up anfield became famous because of the fans not the other way round

The LFC worldwide brand is what it is because of the teams success in the last century, that's the most important. Yes the atmosphere is important but this is not what makes the brand, i understand Celtic has a great and at least as good as our atmosphere, probably one of the best worldwide, but they are not a bigger brand than Chelsea today.

#560505 26/03/17 04:13 AM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By sixtiesred
Ground entrance fees are becoming irrelevant compared with other incomes
Tv, sponsorship etc

I won't say they are becoming irrelevant but yes, but are becoming less and less important. On top of that, they require the biggest investments.

#560514 26/03/17 01:17 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Well if lack of investment is the key to success our club will dominate European football in years to come. Looking forward to it, when do you think this will start ?

Last edited by Stanley Park; 26/03/17 01:18 PM.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
E
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
E
Liverpool's brand was built on winning trophies and playing great dogged football. Anfield is a world renowned ground, you ask any football supporter in the world where Liverpool play and they will all know Anfield, for its atmosphere and the great games that have happened there through our history.

I have travelled to the US a few times and when I watched Liverpool on TV, the reverence they have for Anfield is amazing, when we sing YNWA the commentators are silent, they do not interrupt, it's part of the cult of football that Americans are amazed by and love about the football, something I don't think they really have in there own sports.

I hate talking about 'brands' and Liverpool, but it's part of the game now, but moving to a new shiny stadium may damage the 'brand' in a way, as Anfield is held in such reverence globally, as people have said, ticket revenue has less and less impact on whether you are a successful team now. We need investment, but moving to a new stadium and increasing capacity by say 5,000 but being in debt for £300-500million does not make sense to deliver that, there are better ways to get that investment like sponsorship/marketing/TV deals.

When we eventually win the PL, it will mean more winning it at Anfield with our history and where previous greats like Shankly/Paisley/Fagan/Moran/Dalglish won it, than winning it at the 'Coca Cola Stanley Park Stadia'.

Last edited by ecnirp98; 26/03/17 01:47 PM.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Liverpool's brand was built on winning trophies and playing great dogged football. Anfield is a world renowned ground, you ask any football supporter in the world where Liverpool play and they will all know Anfield, for its atmosphere and the great games that have happened there through our history.

I have travelled to the US a few times and when I watched Liverpool on TV, the reverence they have for Anfield is amazing, when we sing YNWA the commentators are silent, they do not interrupt, it's part of the cult of football that Americans are amazed by and love about the football, something I don't think they really have in there own sports.

I hate talking about 'brands' and Liverpool, but it's part of the game now, but moving to a new shiny stadium may damage the 'brand' in a way, as Anfield is held in such reverence globally, as people have said, ticket revenue has less and less impact on whether you are a successful team now. We need investment, but moving to a new stadium and increasing capacity by say 5,000 but being in debt for £300-500million does not make sense to deliver that, there are better ways to get that investment like sponsorship/marketing/TV deals.

When we eventually win the PL, it will mean more winning it at Anfield with our history and where previous greats like Shankly/Paisley/Fagan/Moran/Dalglish won it, than winning it at the 'Coca Cola Stanley Park Stadia'.

The first time I went to Anfield was 1963 I can still remember it Coventry City the kop then was 26,000 all standing and was the YNWA you see on newsreels and what made the culture of the club. But times move on this is 2017 not 1963 or 1973. If that is our future just milking and milking our great past then we are truly finished. I am from the old school I should be the one harping back to the good old days but I am sensible enough to know any business that stands still is as good as finished. I want the club to be great in the future not a museum

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

The first time I went to Anfield was 1963 I can still remember it Coventry City the kop then was 26,000 all standing and was the YNWA you see on newsreels and what made the culture of the club. But times move on this is 2017 not 1963 or 1973. If that is our future just milking and milking our great past then we are truly finished. I am from the old school I should be the one harping back to the good old days but I am sensible enough to know any business that stands still is as good as finished. I want the club to be great in the future not a museum

You don't know for sure that it won't be great. You just want a shiny new stadium and can't see any other way we can be successful without one for some reason.

You say that businesses shouldn't stand still but we're not. Our commercial activity is massively increased and despite you claiming a lack of investment, we now have more seats to help also. Add to that what could possibly be built to the Anfield Road end and we'll be up to 60000 so on a par with everyone but Utd, even the new stadiums.

I'm no business expert but I'd also bet that most don't change premises unless it's necessary, which for us it's not.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
The club won't fall apart if we have an inferior ground no and no I can't predict the future maybe we will be the first club in history to dominate without significant investment. But you have to look at probabilities and ambition. Another misconception is that when Liverpool were great our ground was rubbish. In the 70,s our ground was on a par with the best it certainly was equivalent to old Trafford goodison too (the World Cup was played there in the 60,s also in that era Liverpool used to get 56k slightly less than but on a par with Man Utd. The difference is they moved forward where we stood still and we are still standing still now and now Everton are moving ahead.

C
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
C
The difference is they moved forward where we stood still and we are still standing still now and now Everton are moving ahead.

You have absolutely no basis to say Everton are moving ahead, they aren't. Even if they build a new stadium their best player in Lukaku wants to move to a bigger club, Ross Barkley could well leave this summer too. Koeman sees them as a stepping stone as well, hardly the foundations for a club on the up?

Even if they do build this new stadium that you are so afraid of what does it actually mean? Will a top class player want to join Everton because of a stadium ahead of the lights of London? Not a cat in hell's chance.

E
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
E

Anfield hasn't stood still, the Main Stand has been extended and modernised and looks much better for it, Anfield can be improved as is without taking on a massive debt to pay off, if it makes economic sense, FSG will do it, as they will do all they can to make money.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion