KopTalk

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Well, as I have stated before, there are many changes taking place in the PL at the moment. I have often compared us to Dortmund, and how they managed to break through alongside Bayern Munich despite spending much much less.

Now, whilst I know it is a lot harder for a club in the PL, due to the number of mega bucks companies, the one thing that many forget is that it is a step by step process.

Firstly we need to get back in the CL. In my opinion, we are only battling 2 teams for that 4th spot, Arsenal and Spurs, and neither is outspending us noticably overall per season. So using the Dortmund approach of hand piccking talented players who have slipped under the radar and building steadily could easily work for us and help us overcome Spurs or Arsenal to that 4th spot. The difference in quality between our squads and football ability is minute in my opinion, and any one of us could take that spot. To be honest, I have us and Arsenal as favourites and believe Spurs will be behind us as I expect Bale to leave, and even if Suarez also leaves, the effect that will have on us is smaller than the one Bale leaving will have on spurs. Without Suarez's goals last season, we would have finished...that's right 7th.

Once we have achieved that, the strategy needs modifying, it is no longer about breaking into the top 4, but about staying there. Being in the champions league allows us to spend more as well and I would expect us to change our policy and whilst still focusing on unnoticed players, I think we would invest a lot more in proven players too. What happens from their, really depends on so many factors that it is hard to analyze them in advance. We could spend 3-4 seasons straight in the CL and that would allow us to strengthen significantly and slowly start eating into Chelsea's and United's lead..City might be a lot tougher as they finally have a very very good manager in my opinion.

With Fergie leaving utd, no matter how much they spend, they will take a hit, a BIG BIG hit and I expect they will be battling for that 3rd and 4th spot along with us. I don't see them competing against city or Chelsea this season.

Now, once we are in the CL, our revenues increase, we have more money to spend not only on players, but also on infrastructure and improving current revenue streams.

It's the only chance LFC have in my opinion and the only one worth trying. So far, to me it seems to be going well, better and better with each day. I have a real belief in what Rodgers is doing and that he is the right manager for our club. The most important thing for our on field performances at the moment is stability in my opinion and the support of the fans. We need to bring back that belief, not only amongst us fans, but amongst the players too.

Sign Reus
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Good answer Marko.

Two questions

One what happens if we can't break into the top four ? That seems critcal in your plan and soon too ? Not 5 years time?

Second the stadium because we have made no progress on that and FSG are not going to pay for it won't that be. Massive drain on our resources ? Who Will pay for it ? The fans ? But are they at saturation point in terms of what they will pay ?

That is what I don't understand

But a good debate folks

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
M
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
M
Originally Posted By: Prolific Borini
Well, as I have stated before, there are many changes taking place in the PL at the moment. I have often compared us to Dortmund, and how they managed to break through alongside Bayern Munich despite spending much much less.

Now, whilst I know it is a lot harder for a club in the PL, due to the number of mega bucks companies, the one thing that many forget is that it is a step by step process.

Firstly we need to get back in the CL. In my opinion, we are only battling 2 teams for that 4th spot, Arsenal and Spurs, and neither is outspending us noticably overall per season. So using the Dortmund approach of hand piccking talented players who have slipped under the radar and building steadily could easily work for us and help us overcome Spurs or Arsenal to that 4th spot. The difference in quality between our squads and football ability is minute in my opinion, and any one of us could take that spot. To be honest, I have us and Arsenal as favourites and believe Spurs will be behind us as I expect Bale to leave, and even if Suarez also leaves, the effect that will have on us is smaller than the one Bale leaving will have on spurs. Without Suarez's goals last season, we would have finished...that's right 7th.

Once we have achieved that, the strategy needs modifying, it is no longer about breaking into the top 4, but about staying there. Being in the champions league allows us to spend more as well and I would expect us to change our policy and whilst still focusing on unnoticed players, I think we would invest a lot more in proven players too. What happens from their, really depends on so many factors that it is hard to analyze them in advance. We could spend 3-4 seasons straight in the CL and that would allow us to strengthen significantly and slowly start eating into Chelsea's and United's lead..City might be a lot tougher as they finally have a very very good manager in my opinion.

With Fergie leaving utd, no matter how much they spend, they will take a hit, a BIG BIG hit and I expect they will be battling for that 3rd and 4th spot along with us. I don't see them competing against city or Chelsea this season.

Now, once we are in the CL, our revenues increase, we have more money to spend not only on players, but also on infrastructure and improving current revenue streams.

It's the only chance LFC have in my opinion and the only one worth trying. So far, to me it seems to be going well, better and better with each day. I have a real belief in what Rodgers is doing and that he is the right manager for our club. The most important thing for our on field performances at the moment is stability in my opinion and the support of the fans. We need to bring back that belief, not only amongst us fans, but amongst the players too.
think you have more chance of succeeding with the holding hands and chanting Y.N.W.A. method than that if am honest, we have zilch chance of getting in the champions league with cutting back rather than spending money which is what F.S.G. and there method is. If we couldnt manage 4th place with Reina, Johnson, Carrager, Agger, Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres and no Man City on the horizon what chance do we have now with a team consisting of Borini, Allen, Downing and Henderson, go on call me a WUM for making a genuine valid point just because you dont like to accept the truth...

Last edited by Mick Eire; 05/08/13 09:25 PM.
S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
Originally Posted By: Stanley Park
Good answer Marko.

Two questions

One what happens if we can't break into the top four ? That seems critcal in your plan and soon too ? Not 5 years time?

Second the stadium because we have made no progress on that and FSG are not going to pay for it won't that be. Massive drain on our resources ? Who Will pay for it ? The fans ? But are they at saturation point in terms of what they will pay ?

But a good debate folks

Great job Stan of bringing the discussion back to the subject of the original post.

That's never easy on here.

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Is Torres better than Suarez?

We still have Johnson, Agger, Gerrard...Henderson is better than Spearing, Allen is better too. Aspas is better than Riera was, he is better than Downing, he is better than Sterling too. Toure is better than Carra, as much as carra is a legend and always will be, Toure is a better player with more pace. Carra was all heart, Toure has the skills though.

Sign Reus
Well the gobshite failed in his ynwa wind up attempt, soft lad he is.

"Romance has broke down
This boy is crack'in up"

So not a moderator

Valar Morghulis
M
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
M
Originally Posted By: wakka
Well the gobshite failed in his ynwa wind up attempt, soft lad he is.
noted as you will be aware of mate...

duly noted

"Romance has broke down
This boy is crack'in up"

So not a moderator

Valar Morghulis
M
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
M
Originally Posted By: Prolific Borini
Is Torres better than Suarez?

We still have Johnson, Agger, Gerrard...Henderson is better than Spearing, Allen is better too. Aspas is better than Riera was, he is better than Downing, he is better than Sterling too. Toure is better than Carra, as much as carra is a legend and always will be, Toure is a better player with more pace. Carra was all heart, Toure has the skills though.
like I say if a team consisting of the players I mentioned were nowhere near good enough a far poorer and weaker team is hardly likely to get in the top four, dont forget no Man City to contend with back then either...

Last edited by Mick Eire; 05/08/13 09:40 PM.
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By: Stanley Park
Good answer Marko.

Two questions

But a good debate folks

Yep, quite a lot hinges on us making that CL spot Stanley. The thing is, the gap is so small between those teams in my opinion that within 3 years we will get in for sure. hopefully it will be this season, but I cannot see us not making CL for the next 3 years. I know it's a big presumption, but it is a calculated one. Everything is set up for us to star climbing the ladder now, we have a new manager who has settled in, we have bedded with the new style of play, our players are maturing, we will have a team which will be hitting their peak soon and everything we are doing, points to the fact that we will be making a gigantic effort to get 4th spot this season. I have no doubts we will get 2 proven quality players before the window closes.

As far as the stadium goes, I don't know quite how that works, but I do believe partners will be involved with naming rights, perhaps a shopping centrein an around teh stadium as well. Something like city's set up on a slightly smaller scale.

Sign Reus
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion